Friday, March 15, 2013

Winter Western WIndow

Stained Glass Window? During the late fall and winter seasons, the indoor plant count in my apartment at least doubles, if not triples. I bring in all the houseplants that prefer to spend their summers outside, and I also have several "annuals" that I've wintered over for years. The large Angelwing Begonia at the top has been around for just about ten years now. I've planted sprigs of Christmas cactus around it and they seem to thrive together. In the deep blue bottle, lower right, are stems of purple Tradescanthia, another annual. The plant itself doesn't seem to live longer than a summer but I always cut off stems and keep them in water all winter. By spring they're full of roots to make another summer plant. I keep changing the vintage colored glass in this western window because it's just so fun every sunny afternoon to see the changing colors reflected on the walls and ceiling and on my other vintage collectibles. This arrangement is very warm with all of these pinks, magentas, and reds.

Pink Garden's Newest Friend: Tom

Meet Tom! Tom is a wild turkey who has recently taken up residence at Pink Gardens. Tom walks with a limp, and I haven't seen him fly yet. He seems to be quite healthy otherwise, and comes when we call him for corn. The other day he was on the "wrong" side of the house near the tracks, so I went out and called to him. He waddled over, not being able to put his full weight on his left leg, and then followed me all the way around the house to the bird feeding area. I gave him a couple of handfuls of cracked corn. He almost eats out of our hands now. I've been in contact with an old elementary school friend who rehabs birds. She's been over but of course, Tom didn't show up even though he's here most of the time. She thought his "scats" looked healthy, and I don't see any broken bones or discoloring of any sort. We'll keep an eye on him and if he seems to be getting worse we'll do a rescue.

The way Tom walks around and pecks he really seems to be a little dinosaur.

Tom's feathers are iridescent with green, orange, aqua, blue, red and lavender areas. It's really quite striking when the sun shines on him. He also has what looks for all the world like a long, thin beard sprouting out from his chest, lol.

Tom's tracks and my size 12s. Too bad they were in the snow and had no chance of petrifying. I could see these in a "Human Museum" someday, labeled "walking alongside dinosaur tracks," lol.

The End of a Long Short Day
 
Winter's Burning Coldness—Though Winter's days are short in daylight hours they seem like the longest of the year sometimes when the snow is piling up, the roads are narrowing, and sidewalks nonexistent. Life just seems to be more grating and out-of-sync to me during this season.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. 5'10" but I've always walked miles and miles all throughout my life. I think my feet have just squashed out from overuse!

      Delete
  2. One of the geese in my yard stands on one leg. Poor thing. But she's lived for years now. I always make a point of feeding her. The flock will eat out of my hand, if I offer food. Given bird flu, I don't do that often. It's great to have wild animal pals. And your turkey looks like a dinosaur for a very good reason. Speaking of which, I used to breed cockatiels (only because they kept having babies; it wasn't my idea) and their featherless babies really looked like dinos. I adore birds. Always have. Good luck to Tom. (And my shoes are size 14. So there.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah! I'm hoping Tom is just a bit mishapen but otherwise healthy. I'd like him here at the home for misfits where we'll take care of him!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE THE WINTER WINDOW. I'M ALL INTO COLORED GLASS IN THE PAST.NOW I ENOY ANY GLASS I GET TO SEE HERE ON YOUR BLOG. THANKS FOR SHARING. YOUR LITTLE RED VASE IS LIKE THE ONE I'VE GOT STILL. I BOUGHT IT FOR MY MOM WHEN I WAS A LITTLE GIRL AT THE FIVE AND DIME. SHE LOVED IT SO MUCH.
    I'M ALL INTO WILD LIFE ROAMING FREE. I HATE WHEN PEOPLE SHOOT THEM. I HOPE TOM LIVES THERE FOREVER.
    WRITENOW, SIZE 14 SHOE. YOU'LL NEVER BE OFF BALANCE. LOL. GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Granny! Spring is only a few days away but it snowed a little bit today. I won't be cleaning off any flower beds for at least another month. But I might run some of last years flowers before then!
      -casey

      Delete
  4. Well am late in stopping by BUT it wasworth the wait! LOVE your turkey! I hope he stays and finds his place among friendly humans.
    We had snow the last couple of days but the days are longer SO that helps...a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mare! It's never too late to stop by my slowly updated blog, lol! Nice to "see" you. Tom was AWOL for a couple of days, we thought he was a goner, but he's back today. I hope he stays a while I bought a 50lb bag of cracked corn for him, lol.

      Delete
  5. STOPPING IN TO WISH YOU A BLESSED EASTER DAY.

    HUGS, GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Granny. I JUST put up a new post. Finally! I hope you have a nice Easter, too.

    ReplyDelete