Monday, February 18, 2013

Reading Between the Lines

Reading Between the Lines—This piece is created on four salvaged antique clapboards. The images are based on photographs my grandmother shot in the 1920s and some digital photographs of some of my vintage books. The woman in the black and white shot is sitting outside during a warm summer day reading a newspaper. On one hand, it's just a very ordinary thing. On the other hand, it says so much about the time and their friendship. The little girl is from a series of city photos from when my grandmother lived in New Haven as a young bride during her first marriage. There is a look in her eyes that just fascinates me. I wish I knew who she was. The vintage clapboards themselves were sanded and cleaned, but I left quite a bit of the original paint layers and based my own painted stripes on the colors I found on the wood.  This piece is 24 inches X 15 inches, paint, paper and polyurethane.

3 comments:

  1. I READ ON A BLOG THAT KATIES' MOTHER DIED.

    BOY I WISH I COULD PAINT LIKE YOU. EVERYTHING YOU DO TELLS A STORY. IT'S WHY I LOVE YOUR WORK.

    KEEP SHARING AND I'LL CONTINUE THANKING YOU .

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's too bad. I wish I had a way of sending Katie my condolences. I guess I'll have to wait until the next time she comments here. Thanks for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete