Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Inspiration Times Two

"Stonecutters," © Donald M, Leet, 2013. Click to enlarge to full screen. You have to see the incredible detail in this drawing!

M Y   C O L L E C T I O N — This AWESOME graphite/pencil drawing was recently sent to me. Well, honestly, a nicely matted print was sent to me by the artist. The original is winning awards in the art shows Don submits it to! Don first contacted me last year after I published a few ancient photographs of my family's quarry workers. Don's family diverged from our local "Leete" family eons ago, moving to Michigan so long ago they spell the family name without the final "e," and told me he'd like to do a drawing based on one of the photos. We emailed back and forth a bit, he asked about modern day Leete's Island, and what I knew about the past. Then just a few weeks ago he let me know he was done. The drawing was finding critical success and would I like to see it? This was mailed to me just a short time later and I can't wait to have it put in one of my antique frames. One of my great-great grandfathers owned the quarry, which among many famous sites furnished much of the pale pink granite for the base of the Statue of Liberty, and my great-grandfather on the other side is actually in this drawing. He was a sculptor at the quarry and is the lower right sitting with the cap and coat jauntily thrown over his shoulders.

A big "Thank You" to Don. Your work inspires me as much as that old photo inspired you. The artistic spirit goes 'round and 'round!

  • The original post is here.

2 comments:

  1. I love that drawing as I love the photograph. I have one I will send you if I can dig it up, my grandmother's brother and group about to leave California to search for gold in Alaska. It would be the last they ever heard from him. The two photos would make a great couple; west coast-east coast men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I REMEMBER WHEN YOU TOLD US THE STORY ABOUT THE PALE PINK GRANITE AND THE QUARRY. THOSE MEN SURE HAD TO WORK HARD FOR THEIR PAYCHECK. THE PICTURE TELLS ALL. GREAT JOB. I LOVE THE ARTIST WORK. PERFECT.

    THANKS KIDDO FOR SHARING.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete