Friday, November 9, 2012

WinterColour—In November : (

Standing under the cedar tree next to the porch during our recent snowy Nor'easter. The winds were not as strong as forecast. no trees came down, but we had snowy skies for more than 12 hours. Luckily, the ground was too warm for much accumulation, but as I look outside today, two days later, there is still quite a bit of the wintery white stuff on the edges of the yard and drive. It's supposed to hit 60 degrees today, though! New England weather, gotta love it or it will drive you crazy!
 
Last week I cleaned up the porch from the summer's flowers. I stacked the ceramic containers, pruned back all the perennials, tossed the annuals, and generally tidied it up to make the eventual winter shoveling easier. Well, "eventual" occurred three days later, lol. I also made an evergreen arrangement in one of my vintage milkcans, with pine and cedar boughs, bittersweet and red rosehips. When I was done, I realized I had skipped autumn entirely, lol. Most people still have pumpkins, chrysanthemums and those odd ornamental cabbages, but I went straight to red and green winter colors. Well, in just a day or two, my winter arrangement looked right at home—with fluffy white snow covering it. Since I emphasize colors here on my blog, I've painted this nearly 100 year old milkcan with a dark red exterior paint for protection, covered with a slightly metallic copper glaze. It really catches the light on sunny days.

At first, I didn't go outside when it was snowing. I shot these two photos from inside my livingroom, looking at the cedar tree outside my window. I changed the camera settings a few times to see what I could pick up. I didn't realize the glass was reflecting back some of the livingroom decor, but I like the end results.

1 comment:

  1. I ACTUALLY FELT A CHILL IN THE AIR.IT GOT DOWN TO ABOUT 48 AND IT FELT GOOD.MY BEDROOM WAS CHILLY ALL NIGHT SO I GOT UP AND THREW A BLANKET OVER ME. I SLEEP MOST OF THE YEAR WITH NO COVERS. THAT'S JUST THE WAY I FLOW. IF I GET A CHILL I JUST THROW A BLANKET OVER MY ARMS. I HATE THE HEAT. THESE PICTURES MAKE ME SO HOMESICK FOR N.Y..I'M SO GLAD YOU DIDN'T HAVE ANY DAMAGE FROM THE NORTHEASTERN STORM. OH, BY THE WAY, REMEMBER I TOLD YOU THAT MY DAUGHTER STARTED ME A CHRISTMAS CACTUS. PRAISE GOD, IT'S LOADED WITH FLOWER BUDS AND THE PLANT IS HUGH. I'M BEYOND THRILL. I JUST WENT OUT ON THE PORCH A LITTLE WHILE AGO TO LOOK AT IT AND I COULDN'T BELIEVE MY EYES. THE BUDS JUST SMILING AT ME.WONDERFUL.

    THANKS FOR SHARING TODAY.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete