Thursday, November 22, 2012

ThanksgivingColours

Victorian china doll, with handmade Depression era dress, surrounded by vintage tins. I'm pretty sure this doll was "repurposed" during the Depression and updated with a bright new dress for perhaps the daughter of the original owner. I'd find a "proper" Victorian dress for it, or make something more suitable, but who's to say who loved their doll more, mother or daughter? The newer dress is now more than eighty years old, so it stays. And I'm always fascinated with once-bright colors as they age and these tin cases wear them well.

I just finished rewiring this ca 1947 Italian porcelain lamp. It's named Le Chanticleer, but I've always called it the chicken lamp. It was left to me by my mother's first cousin who died just a short time after my mom almost 13 years ago. Corinne bought it on a trip to Italy that year and of all her relatives, I'm the only one that cherished it, lol.

I guess even the wild beasts that roam around Pink Gardens' yard decided to have their own Thanksgiving. This was a cool brown pumpkin with pale gray highlights, but the interior is as orange as a regular pumpkin. I like the way the raccoons left the seeds nicely arrayed on the granite steps. Very Martha—"In-the-sticks-Martha," that is.

One Maple tree in the backyard clings to some of its golden leaves. 

Milkweed Pods—
They look like tangled, fluffy birds to me

5 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving Casey! I'm thankful for the many, many smiles you give me throughout every year! :)

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie! I hope you had a great turkey day! Thanks, as always, for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. DID YOU HAVE TURKEY TODAY? GRAMPS JUST GOT BACK FROM MY DAUGHTER AND SHE HOME A DINNER FOR ME. WAY TO MUCH AAAND SO GOOD. I WAS ALWAY A GOOD COOK BUT I TRULY THINK SHE'S A TAD BETTER.SHE LOVE TO HOST PARTIES AND DINNERS.GRAMPS SAID THERE WAS OVER 20 GUESTS.
    I ALSO LOVE YOUR CHICKEN LAMP. I HAVE A IRON ROOSTER LAMP THAT I USE NEAR THE KITCHEN. A FRIEND OF MY DAUGHTERS LOST HER HUSBAND TO CANCER AND SHE WAS GETTING RID OF EVERYTHING. SHE KNEW THAT WE WERE BUYING THIS HOUSE AND REALLY NEEDED [STUFF] THINGS TO DECORATE IT. IT'S A LARGE 4 BEDROOM HOME AND YES I DID NEED STUFF. SHE GAVE ME SO MUCH I WAS EMBARASS BECAUSE SHE WOULDN'T TAKE A DIME.I'VE ALWAY BEEN A GIVER NOT A TAKER AND TO RECEIVE IS VERY HARD FOR ME TO DO. SHE WAS INTO A ROOSTER COLLECTION AND GUESS WHO GOT ROOSTER GALORE YUP ME.I'VE LEARNED TO LOVE THEM BIG AND SMALL.
    I LOVE THE MILKWEED PICTURES. THEY TOOK ME BACK TO WHEN I WAS A KID. I USED TO LOVE TO PICK THEM OPEN AND BLOW THEM TO THE WIND AND WATCH THEM FLY AWAY.
    THANKS FOR SHARING THE ABOVE.

    GRANNY LOU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have much more in the way of chicken collectibles. I have 2 small salt dishes with covers that are chickens, small ones like to dip a radish into. and I have some salt and pepper shakers and a porcelain egg. I was told it was used to give hens the idea to lay eggs if they're not. It looks just like an egg. I hope you have your roosters out where you can see them!

      Delete
  3. MISTAKE AGAIN BUT IT WOULDN'T BE A GOOD POST WITHOUT THE WRONG WORDS. LOL LIVE WITH IT. LOL AGAIN.

    GRANNY LOU

    ReplyDelete