Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pssst, Singalong! "Happy Birthday to You..."

One of my original readers, TampaGranny, is celebrating her birthday today! Let's all gather 'round and sing "Happy Birthday" to her. Thank you so much, Granny, for all of your comments and support these paste [almost] three years! I hope you have a great day!

Above, a dark pink dahlia blooming in my cutting garden.

Heavenly Blue morning glories are almost twice as large as other varieties of glories, and I just love their color. They are very prolific, too, in both vine length and number of blooms. These photos are from a few days ago, the last time we had full sunshine!

Trying to escape from the cutting garden, these orange dahlias really caught my eye the other day.
 
The Victorian cast-iron planters in front of Pink Gardens are blooming profusely this year, with sweet potato vine, Vinca, geraniums, Joe-Pye, mini Dahlias, and these multi-colored morning glories. These dark blue and pink glories remind me of those Hubble photos of galaxies "floating around" in space.
 
A longer view of the blue morning glories. They're on three sides of my vegetable garden. I spent all summer weaving the vines in and out of the fencing, not letting them grow "upwards" until the very end of the summer. If you let them grow vertically too soon, they run out of things to climb on and then just weave themselves around each other. They're still pretty, but you don't get as much of a "bang for your buck" in just one big jumble. These vines are now almost twenty feet wide in every direction. Once they had cleared three sides of the fence, I let them do their thing naturally, growing upwards, and then they just took off. Now I enjoy hundreds of new blooms every day. I hope we have a very late frost this year!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Granny, have a great one. You are truly loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday dear Graaaannnnyyyy....Happy birthday to YOU!
    and many more!
    Love the flowers Casey has "picked" just for you!
    Happy day...
    Mare

    ReplyDelete
  3. HERE IT'S FRIDAY AND I'M SO GLAD I STOPPED BY TODAY. I'M HAVING A TRYING DAY. BLOOD PRESSURE IS UP. I CAN FEEL IT. SO MANY THINGS ARE GOING ON AND I FEEL LIKE I'M GOING TO BUST . WITH THANK I JUST WANT TO SAY THANKS FOR THE FLOWER ABOVE. IN FACT I'M GOING TO COPY IT AND SAVE TO MY PICTURES. ALSO THANKS TO THE GALS FOR THE HB COMMENTS. I MUST GO AND LAY DOWN. CATCH YOU SOON. GRANNY OOO XXX

    ReplyDelete