Friday, June 15, 2012

Nuthin' Like a Posey

The first sunny day with day lilies, 2012, I was focusing on my still-blooming Foxgloves in the background. They're well over six-feet tall now. Some of my day lily buds are that tall, too. The blue garden globe is slowly sinking into the ancient tree stump that is centered in that garden. I think I might have to come up with a holder for it by next year.
 
What a difference a day makes. Yesterday, the first day of my open day lilies, rained all day. Still, there is a beauty to the way the raindrops gather and collect on the newly-opened petals.

This white geranium is three or four years old now. I winter them over in the attic. This one is planted with a bright magenta variety, but that's still not in bud yet. The chipmunks eat these like they're free lobster rolls. I'm not sure why they're so geranium hungry this year.
 
I'm not the only one that loves my foxgloves. A honey bee is visiting each flower for nectar. Here, he meets a very slender spider.
 
A better view of the very thin spider on my foxgloves. A type of "Daddy Longlegs?"
 
Here's a nice corner on the outside of the vegetable garden. Rose Campions, Feverfew, and sedum look great together. I can't remember the name of the pinkish bell-shaped perennial on the left. I've had it for two years now, and was a gift from my friend, and landlord's, sister.

The Deacon John Graves house in my town. I've featured their Rose Campions before, but I just can't get enough of them. They line the wooden fence in front of the museum.

Look at this level of color! The bright magenta flowers are perfectly set off by the grayish, almost cyan leaves.

One of my hydrangeas is beginning to flower. This variety starts off pale green, then goes almost white,  pink, lavender and blue before finally becoming burgundy in the fall. The purple perilla ground cover really stands out here, too.

3 comments:

  1. CASEY, I GOT TO THINKINGAFTER LOOKING AT THESE FLOWERS. THEY SHOULD BE PUT INTO A FLOWER AND GARDEN MAGAZINE. THE FOXGLOVES ARE TRULY BEAUTIFUL AS ARE THE OTHERS.

    THANKS FOR SHARING.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete