Saturday, April 7, 2012

Carrot Confetti Rice: Just Created!

Yes. Artandcolour may be extended to creative food dishes!
Inspired by Stan Santos' excellent food blog, The Spamwise Chronicles, which emphasizes fresh, seasonal foods, I created a rice dish today. I'm calling it Carrot Confetti Rice, for obvious reasons! Basically, I grated fresh raw carrots and cooked them in with the Jasmine rice, about 10 minutes. They kept their nice orange color and still taste really fresh. I squeezed the juice of one lemon into the rice towards the end of the cooking time. When the rice and carrot mixture was finished cooking, I stirred in about a cup of teeny-tiny diced raw red Bell pepper and the green tops of a bunch of scallions. I finished it off with the zest of the lemon. It all tastes really bright and looks great on my 1930s pink Depression glass plates, the set I always ate from at my aunt Hoohoo's house.
  • Stan's food blog, The Spamwise Chronicles, here. It has also been added to my permanent blogroll, on the right of this blog. I hope all of my loyal readers check out Stan's blog. He updates it daily and has a real flair with the subject matter. All foodies will love it!

7 comments:

  1. YOUR WAY FANCY. IT REALLY LOOKS YUMMY. MY KIND OF DISH. SOUNDS GOOD TO ME.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best part, though, Granny, is that the whole thing took maybe 15 minutes, 10-11 minutes of which was the cooking time for the rice and carrots. I put the carrots in the food processor to great them—about 5 seconds. I cut the green onions and red Bell pepper into a tiny dice—maybe 1 minute. Juicing the lemon and zesting it was another minute. Then you just stir the ingredients together and it's done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SOUNDS GOOD TO ME. I LIKE EASY.

      GRANNY

      Delete
  3. I've got some Jasmine rice in the cupboard, but will need to pick up some fresh veggies, then I will give it a try. Nice Spring dish, or even summer when it's hot and you don't feel like cooking all day.

    I will give Stan's blog a look-see, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what time did you say to be over Casey? I think I missed that...what would you like me to bring?? a bottle of wine, some cheesecake?? (homemade of course) Let me know..i'm waiting by the phone for your call!
    LOOKS WONDERFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mare: I love cheesecake! I've never tried to make it though. Maybe that will be next in my baking lessons!

    Annie: I tried Jasmine rice for the first time last year. It was on sale for much less than the "regular" rice, and I was hooked. It seems to cook faster and helps everything I use it with. It's really great in chicken or turkey soups. It keeps its nutty flavor even when it mixes with the herbs and broth in a soup. It's the only rice I make anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the flavor of Jasmine rice, forgot why I bought it the first time, but I was hooked as well.

    ReplyDelete