Thursday, November 3, 2011

Shadows Dancing, Flying, and Just Sitting There

Delicate shadows from a Rosemary plant dance on the tops of toadstools. All photos are clickable thumbnails.

DAILY PHOTOS—I've been shooting hundreds of photos on my daily walks these past few months. Sometimes I set a "theme" for the photos that day—homes, flowers, shadows, rocks—and sometimes I just take a shot of anything that catches my eye. Today, I'll post the first of a series of shadow photos.

Shadows from the wooden railings create a smaller lane for me to traverse. I aimed my bike in the dead center for the entire boardwalk... I amuse myself greatly with the little things in life, lol.

Taking off in flight, this gull's shadow is about to leave the rocks behind.

Ornamental grasses create tropical shadows on this brick sidewalk.

They also remind me of what my hair looks like when I first wake up in the morning.

Shadows of trees create an almost lace-like appearance on the pavement.

Framed by late afternoon shadows from a split-rail fence, this pink rose is a Tropical Storm Irene survivor.

A chain-link fence over the railroad tracks lends a great texture to the sidewalk.

Trying their best to create a monotone Hawaiian-print shirt pattern, these shadows were more attractive than the straggly roadside shrub they originated from.

Much sharper shadows from the chain-link fence mentioned above appeared on the cement railroad bridge wall.

A riderless seat and wheel spokes shadowed on Pink Gardens' clapboard siding.

The boardwalk's shadows can appear quite dangerous at times!

The pronounced crown of the single lane road leading to Pink Gardens is evident in these afternoon shadows.

These shadows reminded me of chicken feet!

11 comments:

  1. CASEY, ARE YOU HAVING ANY FUN YET? LOOKS LIKE IT TO ME.I LOVE THE FENCE PICTURE.ALL THE REST JUST PERFECT. I WISH I WAS THERE AND COULD TAKE THAT WALK WITH MY LITTLE RED SCOOTER. YES I DO.....

    YOU ALWAYS MAKE MY DAY.YOUR BLOG IS ALWAYS FULL OF SUNSHINE THOUGHT. NO DOOM AND GLOOM.

    THANKS FOR SHARING. LOU

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love shadows - reminds me of one of my favorite childhood poems.

    My Shadow
    By Robert Louis Stevenson

    I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me,
    And what can be the use of him is more than I can see.
    He is very, very like me from the heels up to the head;
    And I see him jump before me, when I jump into my bed.

    The funniest thing about him is the way he likes to grow—
    Not at all like proper children, which is always very slow;
    For he sometimes shoots up taller like an india-rubber ball,
    And he sometimes gets so little that there's none of him at all.

    He hasn't got a notion of how children ought to play,
    And can only make a fool of me in every sort of way.
    He stays so close beside me, he's a coward you can see;
    I'd think shame to stick to nursie as that shadow sticks to me!

    One morning, very early, before the sun was up,
    I rose and found the shining dew on every buttercup;
    But my lazy little shadow, like an errant sleepy-head,
    Had stayed at home behind me and was fast asleep in bed.

    Thanks Casey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO fun Casey! I love your shadow pictures...I remember the pitchfork shadow from last year...just so cool.
    We had a deeper freeze last night so it was raining leaves this a.m. It was cold but so lovely and you could hear the leaves dropping onto the ground...
    Off to look at your pictures again.
    Mare

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Annie...mom used to recite that to me all the time!LOVE it...thanks!
    Mare

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realize that was Robert Louis Stevenson, Annie, thank you! I love his books and have a cool collection of them more than 100 years old.

    Mare: I'll have some cool "rock" photos up in the next few days. I've been shooting photos of the large formations all along the water, in different lights and times of day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet you have this poem, Casey, it is in his A Child's Garden of Verses collection.

    Hi Mare ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy a fun moment with Laurel And Hardy as they meet Santana

    http://youtu.be/W1Av5knFk9I

    ReplyDelete
  8. that was entertaining! I love Santana. I saw him play at Madison Square Garden back in '77 or '78. Really a classic concert. Funny how important those were when I was younger!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It amazes me what you're able to extract and articulate into words from everyday life.

    You would make a great author of any type of book, but your humor seems to be the most craftiest. Kids would really love it. Just my 2 cents, lol

    ReplyDelete