Sunday, January 9, 2011

'Twas a North Snow

This is quite a clear example of a "North Snow," that is a snowstorm with winds primarily coming from the north. Notice the snow is clumped on only this one side of this tree, the north side. It was also a very wet snow, clinging to every branch, limb and leaf. The blizzard we had a couple of weeks ago was completely different. That was a strong Nor'Easter, with winds up to 60 mph, and was such a dry snow that it didn't cling to anything. Even after receiving 7-8 inches, my car wasn't covered with any snow at all due to the high winds. The cold weather today, and the clouds that showed up right after I shot this photo, combined to keep this wet snow clinging on the trees all day. These wind chimes furnished a quiet soundtrack all afternoon. Click on image to enlarge and see the glistening white-outlined vines and brambles in the background.

More snow photos to come.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad I checked your blog one more time before going to bed. That is a wonderful image to have in my mind before I sleep. This is right up there on your top 10 photo list. See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always so cool when the snow does this...or should I say so COLD!?! Hope it warms a bit for you and the snow can melt down a bit although it gets rather icky at that point . Calling for snow here...guess we shall see. Are you able to walk into town when the days are like this? Looks SO cold!
    sleep well all
    mare

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, I walk to town unless it's below 20°. Then I just eat the canned crap in my cupboards, or the stuff in the freezer, lol. I have quite a selection of cool handmade hats and scarves. I haven't found my boots this winter yet! They're buried in one of the rooms under this project or that project, but I'm dealing, haha.

    G'night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Casey, your boots are in the guest room covered up by that guest that refuses to leave and you just ignore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVED THIS TREE PICTURE. I REMEMBER SO WELL THOSE N.Y. STORMS GROWING UP. I LOVED HOW YOU CAPTURED THE SNOW ON THE TRUNK. SO PERFECT. YES. I'M LOOKING FOR A FLAW. D/// CAN'T FIND ONE BUT I'LL KEEP TRYING.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete