Monday, January 31, 2011

Progression of the Parrots

The parrot tulips Mary brought me last Friday are just gorgeous today. They're opening more and more, leaning and swaying with the slightest provocation as you walk by them. The sunlight coming through the windows behind them renders the paler orange blooms almost transparent, and the centers of the red ones are turning a deep blue. I just had to do a quick photoshoot this morning to capture them at this phase. Enjoy! All photos clickable to enlarge. Click the "Read More" jump to see five more photos.


Dusty Miller, a curly Spider plant and a young Bamboo plant all act as great foils to the elegant blooms of the parrot tulips.

6 comments:

  1. I will reference back to these gorgeous photos frequently during the next couple days as the snow storm turns everything outside into a monochromatic white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Casey, these are beautiful. And so it is settled, I am taking out my watercolors and try my hand at doing some of these.

    One of my first classes was doing Irises - the best success I ever had with watercolors, I find it so hard and unforgiving. But these flowers just scream...water...colors....now!

    I'm on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes, simultaneous postings, X....we have to stop meeting like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and we're going to get SOCKED with snow and ice this time a 2-3 day storm. I just hope we don't lose power. Worst case here they're calling for another 2 feet of snow and ice. OMFG! best case is just a few inches and bone-chilling weather.

    I thought watercolors too, Annie, especially with the red photos and their dark blue centers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MY 2ND TRIP TO THE LAB IN TWO WEEKS FOR BLOOD WORK. THEY STILL COULDN'T GET BLOOD AFTER SITTING AND WAITING FOR 2 1/2 HOURS. REALLY TICKS ME OFF. I KNEW I WAS THE WALKING DEAD. OH WELL MAKES LIFE INTERESTING. BUT THEN I CRANKED UP THE COMPUTER AND SEE THESE BEAUTIFUL FLOWERS HOW CAN ONE BE MAD BECAUSE I'LL HAVE TO WASTE ANOTHER DAY TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT TO DO.THESE FLOWERS MADE MY DAY. THANKS CASEY.

    I WOULD DO THESE IN WATER COLORS CASEY.OILS WOULD BE NICE BUT WATER COLORS FOR FLOWERS MAKE THEM STAND OUT.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about your experiece at the lab, Granny...

    Casey, these brightly colored flowers were just what I needed today. Thank you. After the 2-day ice storm, I think I'll go buy myself a nice bunch of bright flowers!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete