Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Fourteen Inches and Counting

Largest Snowfall This Season on Connecticut's Shoreline 

Looking out at the small one-lane road Pink Gardens is located on. Our mailboxes are in the center of the photo, and are snow-covered just about halfway up their posts.

All this photo needs is vintage sleigh for the proper Currier and Ives look. All images are clickable to enlarge or to save to your hard drives.

Not a sleigh, but my Infiniti is looking more like a giant marshmallow than the V8 sport sedan it is. In the background are the train tracks for Amtrack. If you take the train from New York City to Boston, you'll go right by Pink Gardens, barely 100 feet from my porch. And yes, this 150 year old house shakes, rattles and rolls when the heavy freight trains rumble by once a day!

Heavily laden with wet snow, this cedar bough on the corner of our porch is several feet lower than it normally is.

A familiar view to those that read this blog, my front yard this morning. We haven't yet been plowed, my boots are still MIA, and it's before noon, so I haven't ventured farther than my porch, lol. It's also still snowing, and is supposed to continue through the early afternoon. I might not walk to town for more photos until tomorrow. Instead I'm planning on making a tomato sauce with fresh basil and Italian sausage meatballs. I'm going to make up a new recipe for meatballs, and if they turn out well I'll type it up and post it later!

The other side of the cedar tree. There is a nesting pair of Cardinals in this tree, but it's just about impossible to get a photo of their beautiful red plumage. I catch glimpses of them darting in and out, and I hear them quite often as this tree is right outside of my livingroom/studio, but the foliage is so thick, it's virtually impenetrable to the human eye. Cardinals are my favorite birds, and our yard is full of them. Neighbor and friend, June, spends a fortune on bird food, and has brought literally hundreds of new birds to our yard.

10 comments:

  1. I don't know how you do it. Your photos never disappoint. Beautiful! I think it's hot chocolate time. Got marshmallows?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still working on coffee this morning! I ground a mix of French Roast beans with a Kona Blend. Coffee is one of my guilty pleasures. I grind the beans, make blends on my own and percolate it on the stove in a really old Revere ware percolator. And then drink the entire pot all morning, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't fresh snow beautiful??? I am especially fond of it sitting on pine trees. Your pics make me a little sad that the pine outside my front window is almost devoid of snow now...but I know better than to wish for it! :)
    Your coffee sounds wonderful as do the meatballs and sauce. I will look forward to the recipe (for both, hopefully!)
    Now that I've read your post, I think I need to make some coffee and go tell Annie good a.m. on her blog!
    Have a great day, stay in if you can (maybe browse the house for boots????)
    mare
    ps are the rest of you snowed under out that way? Paul, Katie?? Woody and X, are you in "snow country??)
    AP, imagine you are looking at sunshine and a stroll on the beach today?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Casey, I did mean to tell you that although all the pics are great, the 2nd pic (enlarged) is amazing...Have you made your art with pics from winter and you as a child dressed for winter? That would be SO cool (pun intended!)
    I also forgot to mention that if just THREE MORE bloggers vote for you, you will be "front page" of the blog voting! How awesome would that be.
    Really need to get busy...have a great day everyone..
    mare

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are beautiful pictures! We, unfortunately, got only about six inches of snow and the plows were coming by all night so the scene wasn't really pretty enough for pics this time. We'll hope for a big one later on -- February is traditionally the big snow month!

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't recall doing much with snowy scenes in my art. This piece of Sanborn's Store is a winter scene, but the snow wasn't emphasized:
    http://artandcolour.blogspot.com/2010/12/memories-of-colorful-gathering-place.html

    I've been "stuck" on 23 votes for a day or two now, lol. Even if I get just two more votes, I'll get to page one. They list in alphabetical order, so I"d bump the blog with 25 votes now, to page 2. I think the voting process is a bit unwieldy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shoot Paul! I am not wishing the city to shut down, but I selfishly am hoping for some great snow shots from you! :) Actually glad for you that you aren't buried in snow, especially if you need to get out.
    Casey, 2 votes, hm? even better! COME ON YOU PEEKERS, vote!!!!!
    mare

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'M SPENDING THE MORNING CRUSHING ICE CUBES WHEN I GET A WHEELBARREL FULL I'M GOING TO SPREAD THE ICE ON THE FRONT LAWN. J/K A LITTLE HUMOR TO WASH THE BLUES AWAY.

    CASEY, THOSE PICTURES ARE TRULY A WORK OF ART. I THINK I'M GOING TO PRINT SOME OF YOURS AND MARES' RANCHLAND PICTURES AND USE A WALL IN THE HOUSE AND HANG THEM. I GET SO EXCITED OVER SOME OF THE PICTURES THAT YOU POST I YELL AND MAKE GRAMPS STOP WHAT HE'S DOING TO COME SEE THEM. THE SAME FOR MARES'. WHERE WERE YOU GUYS YEARS AGO? THANK YOU GOD FOR THE GIFT OF FRIENDS.RIGHT?

    ANNIE SENT ME A CUTE VIDEO OF SNOW PICTURES ETC. IT WAS NEAT.THANKS AGAIN ANNIE.

    IF I HAD A COUPLE OF HUNDRED TO THROW AWAY TODAY,MICHAELS CRAFT STORE IS HAVING A SALE ON PAINTS AND BRUSHES. CASEY, WHEN YOU BUY BRUSHES DO YOU BUY THE ONES MADE WITH CAMEL HAIR? I WAS TOLD YEARS AGO THAT THEY WERE THE BEST TO USE. ALSO, NOT TO GO CHEAP. WHAT DO YOU THINK MR.TEACHER? ALSO DO YOU USE OILS? I ALWAY DID YEARS AGO.SS PAY CHECK. MAYBE A LITTLE CHEAP IS GOOD.
    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since I work on wood mostly, I use water-based house paints and hardware store brushes. I can't stand the fumes in oil-based products and turpentines and paint thinners. When I need small brushes, I just use dime-store paint brushes, the ones that come 10-12 to a pack for $5 or whatever. I really think it's not about spending money to have the best brushes or the best canvases etc, it's what you do with you can afford. Of course, the "art world" in general doesn't really agree with me. Many local artists are more concerned with how expensive your frames are, and since I don't frame mine at all, they don't have much time for me. And vice-versa!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WHEN I HAD MY KILN YEARS AGO, I ALWAYS BOUGHT GOOD BRUSHES SO I WOULDN'T LOSE HAIR IN MY GLAZES. BACK THEN I COULD AFFORD THEM. NOW WELL I LIKE TO LIVE SIMPLE.I'M GLAD TO HEAR YOU BUY THE FIVE DOLLAR THINGS ALSO.THANKS FOR THE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION.

    I'M A LITTLE SAD THIS AFTERNOON. MY DAUGHTER CALLED AND TOLD ME THAT HER BEST FRIENDS LITTLE GIRL HAS CANCER. THE MOM IS LIKE ONE OF MY DAUGHTERS. I WANT TO CRY AND CAN'T.

    GN CASEY GN

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete