Friday, December 31, 2010

Repurposing, x2

This little wooden shelvng unit began as a pile of discarded plywood, left over from a previous project. I asked a friend of mine if he could somehow use the pieces to make a "shoebox" for me, a place I could store my shoes as I came in from outside. He came up with this small four-shelf piece, which I then painted with a stylized 1940s floral wallpaper treatment, above. Only thing, as you can see, my shoes didn't really fit all that well, lol. Then I had a "falling out" with said friend, and I grew tired of looking at it in my home. I have enough memories everywhere I look and I don't need to be confronted daily with bad ones …

… so I repainted it with my "trademark" casey/artandcolour technique, and gave it to my good friend, Nikki, to use in her office. It's now a perfectly usable shelving unit holding envelopes and work orders, and has nothing but good memories for her! If you look closely, this is a good example of the way I paint layers on wood and then sand them off in places revealing the wood's grain underneath. I achieve a look as if it's a vintage item that has been polished and cleaned for decades, loved as a family heirloom, worn away in some areas, but still vibrant in others, acknowledging the wood's texture at the same time. Click on images to enlarge.

8 comments:

  1. That is really neat casey. I like it when art and practicality work hand in hand.

    My large round coffee table is scheduled (sometime) for a do over. I want to paint it in some crazy way and tell my story with the art.

    I've been putting of starting it because I'm not sure where all the sanding will take place. I think the truth is (first) I am not sure of the design. I will make a paper template and start. I am sure once I have the design I can work out the 'where'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can wait until spring, or until a nice warm sunny day, it's best to sand wood outside! I do all of my "heavy" sanding outside, the stuff I do with my electric sanders, but I'll do the finer hand-sanding inside if I have to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I live in a condo on the third floor, I am going to have to move the table to another location. I can't do it on the deck because it will all fall on my downstairs neighbor. Maybe I will move it to my daughter's house where I can work on it on the outside. But first I must get organized as to the design. Or come and stay with you for the summer. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Add me to your "repurposing" list, lol!
    The end result for Nikki is awesome - your trademark "checkboarding" works so well on this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LIKE THE DESIGN THE THE BOX BETTER AS IT IS TODAY. YOUR STYLE. IT WORKED AS A SHOE BOX BUT I JUST LIKE WHAT IT'S USED FOR TODAY.YOUR FRIEND IS LUCKY TO HAVE IT.
    I'M ONE HAPPY CAMPER TODAY. I'VE HAD A BACK CAPPED TOOTH THAT I'VE HAD ALOT OF PROBLEMS WITH FOR THE PAST FEW WEEKS. I'VE BEEN PUTTING OFF GOING TO THE DENTIST BECAUSE FOR ME I THINK THEY CHARGE WAY OVER FOR WHAT THEY DO. SOME OF US SENIOR DON'T HAVE THOUSANDS TO GIVE THEM. ANYWAYS WHILE EATING LUNCH, BINGO NOT ONLY DID THE CAP COME OUT OF THE TOOTH HOLE THE WHOLE TOOTH CAME OUT. NO PAIN, I'VE HEARD OF A CAP COMING OFF BUT NOT THE WHOLE TOOTH LIFTING OUT.I'VE HAD THAT TOOTH CAPPED OVER THIRTY YEARS. THANK YOU JESUS FOR SAVING ME $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I CAN LIVE EATING BABY FOOD. LOL
    SO MY REPURPOSING THING TO DO IN 2011 IS CHECKING GERBER BABY FOOD
    PRICES. I KNOW NOT FUNNY BUT I THOUGHT IT WAS THE LAUGH FOR THE LAST DAY OF THE YEAR.
    LOVE YOU GUYS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Casey is a Nike guy, great shoes for the money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to love Nikes, Woody! That photo was 7 years ago, Now I'm an Adidas guy. Believe it or not I have 6 pairs of black and white Adidas Sambas, lol. I always go out to buy something different, but nothing is as comfortable to me so I just buy a new pair!

    ReplyDelete
  8. GRANNY, SO GLAD YOUR TOOTH FELL OUT (I THINK). PREVENTING A TRIP TO THE DENTIST IS ALWAYS A GOOD THING! I HATE GOING TO THE DENTIST. ONE TIME I PASSED OUT IN THE CHAIR, *BEFORE* HE LAID A HAND ON ME! FEAR!

    I'm a New Balance kind 'o gal, except lately I've been wearing good loafers. I have about 70 pairs of shoes but I seem to stick to one pair for months at a time. Time to sort thru and call The Veterans, who collect such things to sell.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete