Thursday, December 23, 2010

Reaching Out to Longer Days

Evening falls Tuesday December 21st, the Winter Solstice, signaling the beginning of longer days and shorter nights. Barren deciduous trees stand tall next to their evergreen cousins, reaching out to the dusk sky, holding on to the last light, knowing that the longest night of the year will soon be past. The ice man still cometh, to paraphrase playwright Eugene O'Neill who spent many summers in New London, Connecticut. January and February are our coldest months and will surely bring the snow that has eluded us so far, but the tide has metaphorically turned; each day will last just a smidge longer than the last from now until late June.

12 comments:

  1. Might be cold outside, but that only means more time for Bond marathons inside, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oy, that scene is horrifying to watch! that's the only Bond movie I have on DVD and thank goodness I can fast-forward that scene, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHEN I LOOK AT THESE PICTURES I THINK OF FRESH AIR. BREATHE IN BREATH OUT.
    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe the only Bond movies you had yesterday....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how Santa knew what I wanted, but he's quite a special guy, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly my favorite day!! For real! Happy solstice.
    mare

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know what happens if you open your presents early, they vaporize. Wait... it's my doorbell.... [she looks through the peep hole..] OMG, it's Johnny Depp at my door! Forget old wives tales, I'm gonna risk it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If Johnny Depp knocked on my door, with my luck he'd be asking directions to my neighbors, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YOU WOULD SEND HIM OVER TO MY HOUSE NOW WOULDN'T YOU. I SEND GRAMPS TO THE PARK FOR THE AFTERNOON. LOL

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  10. Annie, be honest, you just invited him over for a "bite" to eat, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Right, I just didn't know he would respond so fast.............. lol




    word verification: nuckpile

    what the heck? could this have something to do with the 3 stooges???

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Annie ; "Wise Guy, ah?"


    Casey, I hope one day to visit your neck of the woods
    and maybe grab some coffee. Your not only a great friend, but someone with great passion in showing the world all the talents you were given "upstairs".

    Everyone, please have a great holiday!


    Woody

    ReplyDelete