Friday, December 3, 2010

"Not Wrapped Too Tightly Footstools®"

Because I'm Not Wrapped Too Tightly Either : )

Close-up details of my "Not Wrapped Too Tightly Footstools."

M Y   A R T — Several years ago I bought three really inexpensive plastic footstools at a local discount store. They were that industrial gray/beige plastic that doesn't really have an actual color, lol, but they were sturdy and just what I needed to hang curtains and clean those cobwebs that always gather in the corners of my rooms. 

Just as I didn't want to look at my new gray plastic TV years ago and thus painted it with a faux woodgrain finish, I definitely didn't want to look at my new polystyrene footstools in their nakedness. I wrapped them in several remnants of fabric I had, including fleece, cotton and a couple of cheesy gold metallic lacy fabrics I had lying around. Then I wrapped them in several types of novelty wools in several colors. The results have never failed to elicit a "What the ___?" from visitors, lol. They're handy and attractive in a very bohemian/ragged way, and are busily colorful as I like all things to be. 

Sometimes I just like to have fun with my aesthetic sense, and these functional footstools fully fit the bill!

4 comments:

  1. The top one especially looks like your art. Such a clever lad, you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to be doing something all the time, writing, drawing, painting, photoshopping, wrapping yarn on plastic, cooking, riding, whatever, lol. I never sit down and "rest" until it's time to sleep. I'm not a lounger. Hoohoo's husband, Uncle Bill, was a lounger, and it always annoyed her and I guess is annoyed me too! She and I always had a project to work on, otherwise it seemed to be a waste of time. My parents were both busy people and never wasted time either. Uncle Bill never met a couch he didn't want to veg out on, lol. RIP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! You never fail to surprise me (and give me a giggle in a good way! :) Whoda thunk to do this?? Why our Casey, of course!! I agree with Annie, that top picture could be one of your "grids"...isn't it amazing how our minds work and how we create what we love..each in our own way... wish you had taken a "wide shot" so we could see the bigger picture of what these look like..
    Are you still able to ride your bike or are those days over for a bit?
    Have a good day everyone who wanders here..
    mare

    ReplyDelete
  4. CASEY, FIRST I THOUGHT THIS ONE JUST ONE MORE ART PIECE. I WAS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW YOU WERE GOING TO FRAME IT BECAUSE IT LOOKED TO ME TO BE THICKER THAN THE OTHERS. THEN WHEN YOU SAID THEY WERE FOOT STOOLS I LOOKED AGAIN AND THE MATERIAL LOOKED LIKE RUGS MY MOM WOULD KNIT OR TWIST.THE COLORS WERE COLORS SHE WOULD HAVE USED. YOUR A COOL DUDE. I THINK OF YOU AS BEING MUCH YOUNGER THAN YOU ARE.

    LOVE THE PICTURES.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete