Thursday, December 2, 2010

Hippy Doors No. 1-4, Finished and Unfinished

Hippy Doors No. 1 and 2. Click images to see in greater detail.

M Y   A R T — These four pieces are made from an antique paneled outside door I salvaged. The bottom was dry-rotted, and the rest of the door couldn't be weather-proofed anymore, and once again, I snatched my wooden-bases 30 seconds from being tossed in a dumpster. I've given them the name of "Hippy Doors" as they remind me of a hippy commune I used to visit on the outskirts of Poughkeepsie back in the 1970s when I was in college. Their antique house had been creatively painted all over by the artistic hippies that lived there, so once I started working on these, those memories came flooding back.

The top two pieces are meant to be kitschy kitchen pieces, or perhaps for a cheerful dining room or breakfast nook. They both include a handwritten recipe for Lobster Bisque, given to my mother decades ago by a distant relative. Other images include images of my flowers, scans of my grandmother's jewelry and my now-trademark painted gridwork of stripes and checkerboard patterns. 

I somehow feel I've posted these before, but can't find them on the blog using my Labels. Perhaps I mislabeled them or just overlooked the posts, but anyway I don't think the unfinished ones have been seen before.

Hippy Doors No. 3 and 4, unfinished.

These two pieces have the "groundwork" painted on them, the base paintwork in other words. When I can get back to them, I'll add images and glazes and more layers of painted grids. I really like working with the flaws in antique boards. I sand them to a point, to give me a decent surface for the paint to adhere to, and to remove any flaking bits, but I specifically leave the bumps and bruises of a century or more of wear and tear. I really like it when I have knot holes or in this case, holes from the missing hardware. It gives my work depth and and a sense of purpose. At least to me!

6 comments:

  1. LOVE these Casey, takes me back.

    I'm reminded of our beach living days, I went out in the alley one day and my neighbor to the back was busy painting all the water pipes on the outside of the house a bright fire engine red. We both waited for her "husband's" [noted local architect] arrival home from work.

    He loved it! And yes, we passed the weed. lol Loved my hippie days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved getting off campus with all of the preppies wearing 3 pastel sweaters over their shoulders, and seeing how the 'other half' lived in the commune. It was only for my freshman year though, as they all moved away by the time I started my sophomore year. My best friends at college though, were all pretty much hippes, smart well-adjusted hippies, but we all were as laid-back as we could be. Well, I was the least laid-back since I also had my nightclub disco side, and the wardrobe to match, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED THE ARTWORK NOW IT'S TIME TO GET MY TEDDY BEAR AND PUT MY PJS ON AND GO TO BED SOON. I NEVER WAS A HIPPY. TO BUSY RAISING A FAMILY. NEVER TOOK DRUGS EITHER. I LIKE WINE BUT CAN'T HAVE IT WITH ALL MY MEDS. LOVE RUM COOKIES ALSO. RUM COOKIES,DID I SAY THAT, REALLY WHO CARES THAT I LOVE RUM COOKIES.

    GOOD NIGHT CASEY GOOD NIGHT.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your artwork is incredible. I love the use of color! So fresh.

    ReplyDelete