Sunday, December 12, 2010

Hand Painted Metal Case—What Was it For?

Pictured is an odd little metal case, 6 x 5 inches square and only one inch deep that I'd guess dates back to the early 20th century. There is a loop at the top of it that you can slip your finger in, like you do with certain Early American candle holders. To open it you press a raised flap attached to the loop. Interestingly, it opens away from you, so the contents are visible to someone standing in front of you. Was it originally a cigarette or cigar case? Is it just a type of decorative case I've never seen before? It spent most of its life on my antique sewing machine, holding needles and assorted small sewing paraphernalia (where it still sits—I think it would feel uncomfortable anywhere else after so many decades), but its original usage is a mystery to me. The pretty Dogwood flowers have been touched up at some point in its history, as has the gold leaf edging, but probably not in the last 65-70 years. It's quite an interesting little case.

12 comments:

  1. Casey, I think this might be an antique calling card case. It would make sense opening out to offer the contents to someone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never thought of that possibility. Business cards these days are only 3 1/2 x 2 inches, but maybe there were larger ones in the past. I love mysteries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I thought the mystery would have been solved by now. No other thoughts out there????

    ReplyDelete
  4. it shall remain a mystery....

    perhaps I've bored everyone to death, or my politics have scared 'em away, lol. my hits are WAY down compared to 2 weeks ago. or it's just December and everyone is busy with all the assorted holiday hoopla.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is the December busyness I too have seen a decline, even family and friends have other things to do right now.

    Never fear Casey you never bore and your politics aren't scary at all. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this case - dogwoods are a favorite - but I'm stumped as to it's original use. I don't think it was business cards or cigarettes - too big! Maybe Altoids, lol!

    Annie - sorry for the late response - loved the can of SD - my only response is that they are "age" spots - rofl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Casey, you never bore and your politics are great as far as I'm concerned! I haven't been able to come to your blog every day the last 2 weeks. Just too many holiday things to do...and parties! :) I'm trying to play catchup tonight but even so, I might not make it all the way thru. And FYI, calling cards WERE larger in Victorian times. They still are in Europe, I believe. Just my 2 cents on that. But the case would hold an awful lot of them, wouldn't? Would that be practical? Perhaps you had to order large quantities back then to make it worth production of them. Beats me. LOL

    HO HO HO and Hi everyone else, too!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Casey, a quick "run by" reading of your blog...things are not great for my dad and I am on the phone and running, etc.
    Do you suppose this case could have held postcards?? would love to know.
    Hi everyone...
    mare

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOH< OOH, what about a "wallet" to carry a handkerchief and calling cards in?? Just another thought.
    Mare

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mare, I'm sorry to hear about your father. Hope everything will be OK,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much Casey, I appreciate your good thoughts.
    mare

    ReplyDelete