Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Golden Light of a December Morning

This vintage German angel dates to the early 1950s, and is nearly 18 inches tall. I woke up earlier than usual this morning and the sun was just pouring through my east window, highlighting her golden foil wings, and illuminating her ornate brocade gown, and soft, wavy and flowing hair. I have a strand of my mother's pearls hanging on her, too. While I suppose she's technically a Christmas ornament, I leave her out all year 'round as she's just so peaceful looking. Her arms are outstretched with her palms facing upwards, in what reminds me of a yoga position. She originally held small candles although one of the holders is now missing. With her closed eyes, and golden crown, she seems non-denominational to me.

12 comments:

  1. "We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another." ~Lucretius

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS ANGEL BROUGHT A TEAR TO MY CHEEK. SHE REPRESENTS ALOT OF GOOD THINGS TO ME. EVERYTHING ONLY I BELIEVES IN. IT MAKES ME FEEL GOOD.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's really beautiful. There is a second, smaller one, but I haven't found it yet, lol. It might have gotten lost through the years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my, Casey! She's beautiful! I can see why you leave her out year-round! Lovely lighting in your photo, too. Merry Christmas! To you too Annie and Granny. Well Merry Christmas to everyone who comes here. :)

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a really great Erasure song, called Glass Angel
    which is about the hope an angel can provide for a person.
    http://tiny.cc/8yveq

    ReplyDelete
  6. Casey, this angel is gorgeous! As much as I have become less denominational as I have grown older I still love good religious art. Good art is always good art :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice thing to wake up to! I love your mother's pearls that she is wearing...appropriate and lovely
    mare

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really beautiful! I think I've seen B16 wearing something similar.

    No offense to anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hah, it took me a second to figure out what B16 was! funny. no prada shoes on my angel though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too funny Paul! LOL! No offense taken *here*!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete