Saturday, December 25, 2010

Forget the Sleigh!

Vintage Santa Clauses Ride on Skis, Tricycles

These vintage Santa Clauses date to the 1950s. The plastic Santa on skis is a container, most likely for pens or pencils. It's about five-inches high, with a deep space in his "bag" but the opening is pretty narrow, too narrow for candy or any sort of holiday treats. The Santas on tricycles are tin-toys, and operate with a key-wind. They ride around on flat surfaces quite well. The pinwheel-like ornament on the back of the tricycle is a bell that rings as Santa rides around; the spiral painted bell turns around and around for a crazy, op-art type of display. Although also made of tin, the "balloon" is mounted on a very thin wire, and flails around as the trike is propelled. They're really quite charming, and they've managed to stay with their original boxes.

5 comments:

  1. These are hilarious! And I'm so impressed that they've managed to stay with their boxes. That's something I never got as a child but now I wish I'd saved all the boxes of my Dinky's and promotionals and Plasticvilles.
    Oh well.

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen those Santa's before. I think they are neat. Oh by the way the little matchbox cars were a BIG hit with my grandson. His fave was the GT. He also liked the harmonica I gave him. My choices earned me lots of hugs and thank you's. He's a great kid, but hey when you've got too older sisters you've got to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I REMEMBER TOYS LIKE THAT.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  4. The plastic Santa is part of a light set. My grandmother had the full set. It had a snowman what also went with the set. It is great seeing it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! Evoking memories is what my art and photos are all about. I hope you enjoy the rest of the blog entries at some point! -casey

      Delete