Monday, December 27, 2010

Ford's "Total Performance" for 1964

As perfect as my 1962 Ford brochure is, my '64 version is decidedly less so! Unfortunately this brochure was stored in my Mom's basement for years and years, and went through a couple of episodes with broken sump pumps and flooded basements. The cover and back cover suffered the most, sticking to whatever was on the top and bottom of them, but the interior has water damage too. This was a great year for Fords so I kept it, and hopefully it won't deteriorate any further. This piece has a litho date of 1963, and is missing Ford's brightest star for '64, the Mustang which wouldn't be introduced until April 17th of 1964. 

Featured in it though are Ford's almost completely restyled lineup, from the new sheetmetal and rooflines of the full-sized Fords, to the heavily facelifted Fairlane, and the completely restyled Falcon and Thunderbird. Illustrated above, in the opening spread featuring all of the new Fords, is a photo of the Swing-Away steering wheel in a Galaxie. My '64 Tbird came with that unique feature standard, but I never realized that it was optional on the full-sizers as well.

The Galaxies and Customs featured brand new rooflines. The four door pillarless hardtop is one of my all-time favorite large Fords, although it took me many years to come to that appreciation. This four door was available as a 500/XL complete with bucket seats and console! Note the blue 2 door in the upper right-hand corner. It's ID'd as the 500/XL convertible, and on close inspection it is, but the airbrushing artist got the roofline totally wrong. It has the "slantback" roofline of the hardtop. I thought they had just inserted the wrong photo, but on close inspection, the stainless trim at the base of the roof includes the snaps for the convertible's roof cover and the roof's details are different from the hardtops. Oops! 

Interestingly, the Galaxie/Custom line is given a third page in this 12-page brochure, and the Fairlane is only given one page. The Fairlane was heavily facelifted this year, with new roofs and new bodies, and would be again in '65. In '66 it was completely redesigned in a larger package, and was impressive enough for my Dad to come home with a bright red 500/XL hardtop coupe.

The completely redesigned Falcon is featured on these two pages. It was much more sculpted and angular. Bodystyles included sedans and hardtops, as well as the sporty convertible. The Econoline van was included in the Falcon lineup, called the Deluxe Club Wagon in passenger trim.

My beloved '64 Thunderbird! Photos highlight the cozy "Twin Cove" rear seating in this series of Tbirds, as well as the absolutely perfect profile proportions seen here on the Landau. The convertible's clean lines is obvious on the red 'Bird, the result of the modified retractible roof mechanism of the '57-'59 Fords and first 4-seater Tbirds of '58. The soft top retracted completely into the rear trunk, which opened up electrically "backwards" to accept it. It then closed with a smooth metal cover replacing the usual bulky boot-covered rear stack for an oh-so elegant appearance.

• This '64 Galaxie 500/XL 4 door hardtop was sold a long time ago, but the link still works. It shows the 4 door with bucket seats, and just how well-trimmed and special Ford's Galaxie interiors really were.
• That same purveyor of vintage cars, Memory Lane, also has this great '64 Falcon Sprint convertible for sale. Thanks to loyal reader, Woody, for posting the link in the comments. I'm adding it to the "front" post so everyone sees it, What a great looking little convertible, and it's a great suggestion of Woody's that Ford sell a new convertible for less than its current Mustang.

8 comments:

  1. The 64 Fords were the Motor Trend Car(s) of the Year. I think 64 was the year of Total Performance.

    The top mechanism for the Thunderbird was orginally developed for the proposed Mark II convertible that never came to be. Instead the technology was applied to the 57-59 Skyliner, as you mentioned, as well as the 58-67 Lincoln convertibles and the 58-66 Thunderbirds.

    I'm sure I've mentioned that my brother bought a 64 Falcon Futura convertible with the 260 V8 and the 4-speed, light blue, white top, blue interior, black tires. He took delivery on November 21, 1963. He had been drafted by the time I got my license so I got to drive it to high school as a junior and senior except for about six months when he took it to Indiana and gave me $100 to buy a 56 Chrysler Windsor. I also drove it for two years in college. I loved that car and would love to have it now.

    The 64 Thunderbird is one of Ford's high points -- the level of detail is just amazing. No one does that now. The 65 had some mechanical upgrades (like disc brakes) and the sequential turn signals, but the 64 is the purer design.

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Guys,

    The Falcons is one of my favorite Fords ever made. On Casey's link they feature a lovely white convertible.
    Why can't Ford make a less expensive convertible than a Mustang?

    http://bit.ly/dP5NqT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing the link still works. Its even the right color interior.
    An obvious hint hint, I got it but did you get it ? hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great find, Woody! I saw that the other day, I check that site at least once every few days, and should have put it on the front page. Maybe I will now, thanks!

    I'm being slow, PX.... not sure what you're alluding to, lol. I haven't gone outside all day, so maybe I'm oxygen deprived!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow -- what a cool little car -- it takes me way back on memory lane even though it's not an exact dupe. But if I had a spare $19,500and a place to keep it, I'd sure snap that right up.

    I think a Fusion convertible would be a winner and could probably be had for around the same price as this great Falcon. I can't believe the base price for even a six cyliner Mustang is over $30K!

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops! I meant a FOCUS convertible, not a fusion. Obviously a Fusion would be a great droptop but we were talking about cheaper than a Mustang and I doubt that would be the case with the Fusion. So anyway, a Focus convertible would be very cool.

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just looked at all the pictures on that Falcon post and that's not really a Sprint. I believe all Sprints came with bucket seats and a mini console. This is clearly a Futura convertible that someone added Sprint badges to. It's still a wonderful little car and I'd be delighted to have it!

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great observation, Paul. I think trying to up the value of a particular car with a "better" badge, or equipment happens quite a bit with restored vehicles. I've noticed it so often with vintage car ads. Caveat Emptor, indeed!

    ReplyDelete