Monday, December 20, 2010

Does Anyone Remember the 1981-82 Granada?

Because I Certainly Don't Remember This Second Generation!


If you had asked me yesterday whether Ford made a second generation North American Granada, based on a slightly facelifted Fairmont, the Fox platform, I would have said no. I don't remember it at all! I don't think I've ever seen one in person, certainly not the coupe with its attractively widened C pillar (compared with the Fairmont). Apparently I picked up this brochure at the dealership 29 years ago and never looked at it again until this morning! Talk about "like new" condition...

Looking at this car with my 2010 eyes, I can honestly say it's pretty decent looking. It's a bit more formal than the Fairmont, a bit fussier in detail, but the changes aren't heavy-handed at all, and add a bit of class to the car if you ask me. The black coupe, below, is downright elegant looking in that honest way that Fords of a certain vintage always possessed. They were available with four-, six- and eight-cylinder engines, and were all rear-wheel drive. They came in L, GL, and GLX trim levels for '81, in coupes and sedans, and added a wagon for '82. 

The Mercury version for this 1981-82 second generation was no longer called Monarch, it became the Cougar. For '83 the Granada name was retired for good, replaced with yet another facelifted Fox body, and renamed the LTD. At that point, the "Fox" Cougar became the Marquis. The early '80s was certainly a fluid time in terms of Ford's naming practices, as they tried to downsize their models and keep up with the times. Jack Telnack's "aero" age was just around the corner . . .

I swear I've never seen one of these coupes in either Granada or Cougar guise. Compared with the original Fairmont, the wider C pillar is good looking! I really like it in this all black version. It's tasteful and appears light; it's elegant without being ornate. The proportions are great for a mid-size Eighties automobile.

The GLX trim level was the top of the line, but oddly came with blackout trim on the rocker panel moldings, B pillar and window frames and headlight recesses. The interior came in vinyl buckets or optional split bench seats with dual armrests. It's "sort" of sporty with the black trim, but the interior was "luxury" oriented with lots of woodgrain.

For the rest of the trim levels, and the options page, click the jump link.

The GLX sat at the top of the line.

The GL was the mid level model. 

The "L" sat at the bottom. but honestly, they all look almost exactly the same to me. The L seems to have just as much chrome on the bodysides as the GL does. The interior is probably where the difference was more apparent.

Somewhat strangely, to me anyway, in a brochure full of photography, the options pages are illustrated in a loose style. Options included manual front vent windows, a manual pop-up sunroof, various wheels and wheel trims, several radio options, and the inevitable power options, window, seats, door locks and steering. Power front disc brakes were standard, as was rack-and-pinion steering, but the variable ratio power assist for the steering was optional.

18 comments:

  1. Wow! I do not remember these at all. Of course, at the time, I was living mainly at night in SF playing punk clubs and , unless it was a police car, I took little notice. These certainly could blend in anywhere !

    The coupe is surprisingly good looking. Clean, formal.I see a little bit of the period T-bird in it's profile.

    I do remember how thrilled I was for the Telnack revival- and glad to see this era pass.

    Still,it's very interesting all the same. It's always a pleasure to discover something "new !"

    Thanks ,Casey.

    AP
    Malibu

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, the black coupe does remind me of a Thunderbird. It's actually much better looking than the boxy Bird they built during this period. Talk about fussy! I'd rather have had this Granada. With a V8, 255 cubic inches, I bet it was almost fun to drive. The next version, the '83-'85 LTD on the Fairmont platform, could be had with the 5.0 V8 for almost a 4 door Mustang, I think it was called the LX. I think I might have stopped getting brochures by then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do remember this car! My Dad had an 82 GLX 4 door as one of our company "lease" cars. It was tu-tone fawn with a matching interior. I know from the pics that it was a GLX because of the location of the power seat controls in front of the fold down arm rests. I didn't drive this car very much, maybe just to back it in and out of the driveway (I was deep into my Mustang phase in 82), but I did admire the fact that it did not have a vinyl roof, and I did like the color.
    Leave it to you to remind me of a car I haven't thought about in 28 years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I do agree with you about the Thunderbird comparison. Ford would have had better street cred if they would have marketed the two door as a Thunderbird rather than the atrocity that was the 80-82 T Bird. That is one car I DON'T want to be reminded of!

    ReplyDelete
  5. About three years ago I worked in a small town in Florida where I passed a 1981 Granada 2 door daily. It was a survivor, pale yellow with a tan interior. I always would customize it in my mind with Mustang wheels and other Fox related parts. I also had an acquaintance that had the wagon. The ESS version was a little fussy with its blackout details, but the others were not so bad! You can tell the 1981 from the 1982 by the "Ford" on the grille surround. 81 was a right justified script and the 82 center mounted oval. Very rare that you have a yearly change on a Ford! But all in all, the coupe to me was the looker of the bunch. Too bad it wasn't carried on as the LTD in 1983.

    ReplyDelete
  6. IF I KNEW ANYTHING ABOUT CHOPPING CARS, I'D PUT TRAINING WHEELS IN THE BACK.OH WELL, I THOUGHT IT WAS FUNNY.YOU KNOW I LIVE IN MY OWN LITTLE WORLD HERE.LOL

    GRANNY

    MALIBU, CAN YOU TEACH ME HOW TO BE A PUNKER? JUST ONCE BEFORE I DIE I WANT TO DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN BEING A GRANNY. LOL. I MAY EVEN JUMP OFF THE STAGE INTO THE CROWD. WHY NOT SOME GRANNIES JUMP OUT OF PLANES. I GOT MY HAIRCUT THE OTHER DAY.SHE CUT IT WAY TO SHORT. WHEN I WAKE UP IN THE MORNING I LOOK LIKE A PUNK WITH A MOHAWK. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember these very well. In fact, in 1987 I was offered a very nice one (probably an '82) that I considered buying for my mother to replace her rather worn 1972 Valiant (stripper exterior, upgraded interior, V8
    [318], A/C and Torqueflite). I passed but bought her a Reliant K the following year that my brother is still driving.

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  8. You go for it Granny - Some of my BEST hair days are when I first get out of bed in the morning. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. GRANNY, I CAN'T TEACH YOU HOW TO BE A PUNK ROCKER BUT WE *CAN* GO JUMP OUT OF A PLANE!! OUR HAIR WOULDN'T STICK UP ANY MORE THAN IT ALREADY DOES! WE'D HAVE SOMEONE WITH US TO HELP US DEPLOY THE CHUTE AND LAND. WISH WE COULD CHOOSE WHO. I'D TAKE RICHARD GERE OR JOHNNY DEPP PLEASE. YOU?

    Gentlemen, sorry for the brief departure from car talk!


    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  10. TODAY IS MARES' BIRTHDAY. SHE TURNED 39.LOLGO TO HER BLOG AND WISH HER A HAPPY BIRTHDAY.
    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  11. KATIE, RICHARD GERE GRADUATED FROM CICERO HIGH SCHOOL. THE HIGH SCHOOL WAS RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM WHERE I LIVED IN N.Y.. HIS DAD IS INVOLVED WITH MEALS ON WHEEL IN NORTH SYRACUSE, N.Y.. RICHARD HAS COME BACK FOR MANY THINGS CONNECTED TO MEALS ON WHEEL. THEIR LOVLY PEOPLE.
    JOHNNY IS LOOKING PRETTY GOOD TO ME. LETS GO.MALIBU AND I CAN PUCK OUT LATER
    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to say, when it comes to comfort big cars likes these are the best, especially for road trips.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Granny,

    I think you would have a better time skydiving with Katie and Johnny Depp !

    Casey, phantomX , carsntunes -I am seeing the T-bird from the leading edge of coupes front wheel to the B-pillar, which would be s.o.p . I also agree the T-bird would have been vastly improved by this clean approach.

    Last night I thought this Granada was akin to the Holden Statesman Caprice of this era . Angular. Modest neo classic grill. I am not saying 'twins",mind you. They simply share the look of their time.

    AP

    ReplyDelete
  14. GOOD NIGHT CASEY GOODNIGHT

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here's a little something for all you car guys.... have fun.

    http://isleoftune.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..more wait .. …
    Also visit my page ... vacancy.am

    ReplyDelete
  17. Totally loved my '81 2-door Granada L coupe in medium fawn metallic. There's one for sale currently here in LA on Craigslist that's two-tone green. These fox bodied Fords were well built, easily upgraded in many, many respects (performance, interior, handling, etc.). Thinking of buying one for a summer project (if I don't end up with a last-gen Lincoln Towne Coupe (also, '81).

    ** Just discovered Casey's site yesterday, and I'm convinced he's my other-coast automotive soulmate. AMAZING photoshop chops and brilliant design technique. BRAVISSIMO!!!!!! Love the art / and photography as well.

    ReplyDelete