Wednesday, December 22, 2010

All Wrapped Up With a Pretty Red Bow

A random photo from this morning, my Franklin Mint 1951 Mercury Monterey (from 1987) looks as if it's ready to be unwrapped. Last year I took a walk along the beach road on Christmas morning and saw a brand new white Lexus LS600h with a five-foot red bow on its roof sitting in one of the driveways. I've always wanted to wake up and find a new car like that! Of course, finding an old car like that would be swell too, lol. Isn't that a cool twig that is curling and twisting above the car framing the vintage print of kittens on a chessboard? I can always find something artistic outside that adds interest inside.

Many little details in this shot, also taken just a few minutes ago. The snapshot in the background is my Dad dressed as Santa which he did in a local department for a few years after he retired. The small Dalmatian belonged to my mother, as a remembrance of her childhood pet, Lady, and stands in guard of a photo of her taken in the 1930s. Above the dried hydrangeas you'll notice the back of a tiny cat hanging on the rim of the blue vase, as if trying to get to the origami present sitting there, as a little jockey gallops away on his Derby steed.

This sad little hanging Santa's body is mesh, and was most likely filled with foil-wrapped chocolates or some other small stocking stuffers. His countenance is world-weary and his shoulders, slumped with age, seem to say, "There are no toys for the boys and girls this year." He's one of my favorite vintage Santas. The chrome script for our long-gone '66 Country Squire is at the top of the photo, and a red tin "Beetle" which originally carried a holiday assortment of M&Ms, given to me by my friend Debbie, sits on the right. An early '60s Austin Mini, a "Bugeye" Sprite, and a Mazda Miata are parked on the cabinet behind him. Santa hangs from a very heavy chromed, cast-brass hood ornament from a '51 Packard. Santa hangs here all year long. He's sad enough that I just can't add to his misery by packing him away in a drawer!

8 comments:

  1. I HAD A 1960 BUG EYED SPRITE AND NOW THE1997 MAZDA. I MADE IT IN ONE OF YOUR PICTURES. I THINK I MADE THE CLUB.
    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'll take that little M & M car. Is it a VW?????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granny, two for two in one photos. pretty good!

    Annie, yup, it's a VW Beetle. It splits in two so the packages of M&M could go inside. I think Deb gave it to me 14-15 years ago. It rolls too, but I have to admit the M&Ms were gone in a day or two, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ALL WRAPPED UP WITH A RED BOW. THIS PICTURE IS SO NICE CASY. I LOVE THE SOFTNESS AND QUIET COLORS.LOVE MY BLUES. THE PEACOCK FEATHER REMINDED ME OF A LONG AGO FRIEND. WE WOULD WALK ALL AROUND HER RANCH OUT IN TEXAS. WE WOULD PICK UP PEACOCK FEATHERS. WOULD YOU BELIEVE, SHE WOULDN'T LET ME HAVE ANY. SHE WAS A LITTLE SELFISH.I LOVED HER ANYWAYS.SHE TAUGHT ME ALOT ABOUT MY LOVE OF HORSES. SHE HAD 100 ACRES TO ROAM. THE HORSES WOULD SEE US AND COME A RUNNING. I MISS THOSE DAYS. WHEN I DIE I HOPE THE BIG GUY UP ABOVE HAS A RANCH BUILT FOR ME WITH A 100HORSESS RUNNING FREE.OR A LOG CABIN BY WATER AND A MOUNTAIN. PEACE AND QUIET.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't imagine having a Lexus with a bow on it outside my house Christmas a.m.!! wow!
    Thanks for pointing out things in the pics...I miss a lot sometimes and it is fun to "look for it" after you have told us!
    Granny...THAT WAS KIND OF MEAN OF HER NOT TO LET YOU HAVE A PEACOCK FEATHER!!! WHAT WAS UP WITH THAT???
    MARE

    ReplyDelete
  6. Granny: was thinking the same thing Mare said about the peacock feather! What a weird thing! I can't imagine anyone being like that. It doesn't look like it but I like to give stuff to people if they like something I have and it's not sentimental, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SHE WAS 10 YEARS OLDER THAN HER HUSBAND AND HER MONEY WAS HER MONEY AND HIS WAS HIS MONEY. I WOULD PICK HER UP MANY TIMES DURING THE WEEK AND DRIVE HER TO TOWN TO SHOP BECAUSE SHE DIDN'T DRIVE. I ALWAYS DID IT WILLINGLY BUT I DID THINK IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE IF SHE HAD OFFERED TO BUY A TANK OF GAS BACK THEN ONCE IN A WHILE. SHE WAS 60 AND I WAS IN MY EARLY 39S. YES, I WAS OUT THERE SAVING THE WORLD IN HELPING OTHERS. I CAN REMEMBER BEING IN TOWN WITH HER AND AFTER RUNNING ALL DAY WE DECIDED TO STOP IN THE LOCAL DINER [SAMBOS'] TO HAVE A PIECE OF PIE AND COFFEE. WHEN WE WALKED INTO THE PLACE THERE SAT HER HUSBAND . WE SAT DOWN WITH HIM ,CHATTED, THEN HE DECIDED TO LEAVE HE PICKED UP THE CHECK AND LEFT JUST ENOUGH MONEY TO PAY FOR HIS. MY GRAMPS WOULD NEVER HAVE DONE SUCH A THING. GRAMPS ALWAYS PICKED UP THE CHECK AND LEFT THE TIP. HE WOULD NEVER LET A LADY PAY FOR DINNER. THE GOOD OLD DAYS. WHERE DID THEY GO?

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's the way my father was too. My mother and father both couldn't stand "tight" people. If they didn't have a lot of money to start with, that was one thing and perfectly understandable, but if they did have money, and they still left exact change or never picked up a check, they got serious demerits from my parents, lol.

    ReplyDelete