Saturday, November 27, 2010

Umm, Not Sure What This Is... Dated 1931

Front, top and back of this approximately 5 1/2 x 3 inch piece of paper. The weight of the paper is akin to tissue paper, it's incredibly thin. I found it in one of my antique books. The date on this paper is 1931, and it appears to be a receipt of sorts for a charity. The Army & Navy Veterans in Canada, Quebec Unit No. 33 is printed on it, and it seems to be $1.00 subscription fee for a million dollar charity... A Google search didn't turn up anything germane. The name signed on it is my great-uncle Arthur, a very interesting man that died when I was 6. He was an inventor of sorts, a collector of wildflowers which he pressed in many books and notebooks, and the proprietor of the small beach store on the family property, opened in the middle of the Depression in the early 1930s. This piece also has "Derby-Epsom-England" printed on it and a specific date of June 3rd, 1931. Perhaps it was some sort of Lottery ticket? I like the typography and the art on it, so I scanned it. Plus, I'm surprised such a thin and delicate piece of paper could still be around almost 80 years after it was printed. Any ideas? Clickable to reading size.

4 comments:

  1. Casey, I don't know if you found this site:
    http://anavets.ca/index.html

    You may find someone to email where you could send them a picture of receipt and get more information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT I'D LIKE TO KNOW IS WHERE DO YOU GET ALL THIS STUFF?

    HELLO TO EVERYONE AS YOU ALL TAKE A PEEK AT CASEYS' BLOG TODAY. I PEEK ALL DAY. YOU MIGHT WANT TO CALL ME A PEEKING TOM.

    GOOD OLD WILLIE NELSON IS AT IT AGAIN. I BET HE GETS OFF WITH A GOOD SLAP ON HIS HANDS. I GUESS LAWS ARE MADE TO BE BROKEN. DON'T HATE ME. I DO ENJOY LISTENING TO HIM SING. HIS LIFESTYLE. WHATEVER.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks. I didn't see that one yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Granny: I've tried to save everything I could from many generations of my family, not knowing what was valuable or not, but enjoying the artistic value of old things.

    ReplyDelete