Sunday, November 14, 2010

Red, White and Blue—On a Diminutive Scale

There has been an email floating around the web for a few years of "regular" cars squeezed down into tiny, Hot Wheels/roller skate looking devices. When I first received it I was amused at the concept, but not the execution. They weren't photoshopped very well. Yes, they were amusing, but I thought the concept needed to be executed a bit differently. I created several of these miniatures, and present three of them here today. From the top, the red Ford GT/Kei (Kei is a market of tiny cars in Japan with engines of 660cc and under). I'm pretty sure this was the first chop of mine featured on the Autoextremist website several years ago. In the middle is my small '63 Thunderbird. At the bottom is my '61 Impala-lite.

You'll notice I didn't just up the tires/wheels and proportionately "squeeze" the cars. I shortened overhangs, hoods and trunks, and changed some character lines on the cars to smooth them out for their newer, shorter overall lengths. I like to think, in another dimension, in a vastly different world where gas mileage was always a priority and garages were legally limited to 12 feet long, lol, my cars might actually have been designed by Detroit's stylists.

12 comments:

  1. These little things are adorable and would an awesome ride for any hobbit with a driver's license. Heck, I would drive around in one of these with my knees hitting into my ears. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the modern equivalent of circus clown cars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's wrong with my perception? lol I see the cars normal size and everything else larger...lol

    But if Woody can say "adorable" let me add "cute".

    ReplyDelete
  4. GOODNIGHT PA; GOODNIGHT

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Casey-

    Fun and, best of all , believable !
    A fine finale to my weekend!

    Thanks,

    AP
    Malibu

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your little cars remind me very much of all the cars in Paris! They were small versions of "real" cars (notably lots of Mercedes') due to gas prices, I suppose. They were sure all small! :)

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, everyone. These "lite" cars were fun to do. Sometimes I just wanna have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LIKE CALLING YOU PA.LOL

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Impala is so cute I just want to pick it up and give it a hug! And the Thunderbird reminds me a lot of the short-deck Cadillacs of 62/63.

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  10. There was a fluffy movie in the 1960s with Shirley MacLaine called "What a Way to Go" I believe. One dream scene had a bunch of big American luxury cars but they were foreshortened and distorted from what I remember, and I was thinking of that scene when I did these too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Casey -- wow what a cast in that movie! Sure sounds like one that would be fun to watch!

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058743/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Had to chuckle at the clown car comment...that's why my daughter calls my max!! :)
    These are all SO fun!
    mare

    ReplyDelete