Saturday, November 20, 2010

Mix-n-Match Style

My eclectic "decorating" skills are obvious in this photo. In the background is my Edison Gem Phonograph, a cylinder player from ca 1905. Its black metal "horn" is sitting on the floor in front of the glass topped table. To play, you lift off the wooden cover, place the horn on its base and give the little machine a few cranks. In front of the player is an art deco silver cigarette lighter, with a great engraved geometric design. Those two small tin "signs" are late 1940s/early 1950s Lionel Train promotional items, and the wooden "vintage" toys are actually WalMart items from 10 years ago. To the left of the wooden cylinder player, just behind the wooden truck, is a painted tin 1930s New Years "noise maker" which you spin around to hear a grinding noise, and there is a painted 19th century milk can on the left in the background. On the bottom is an aluminum lunch box from the early 1960s, and my persian rug is also an early 1960s item. Not really very visible, to the right in the background, is my late 18th century cherry wood secretary. Even the table everything is sitting on is a mix-n-match—the tiny four-legged wooden stool table (18" high, 10" wide) dates to the 1930s, but the round piece of glass covering it is only a few years old. I placed it on the diminutive table to increase my usable horizontal space!

3 comments:

  1. THE NOISE MAKER I REMEMBER WELL.LUNCH PAIL ALSO. SOMEWHERE IN MY JUNK I'VE GOT ONE OF THOSE LIGHTERS. I REMEMBER ASKING A BOYFRIEND IF I COULD HAVE IT. WHY? WELL, WHEN YOU DATED BACK IN THE DAY THE GIRL ALWAYS WANTED SOMETHING OF THE BOYFRIEND.THAT WAY YOU COULD TELL EVERYONE YOU WERE GOING STEADY. MEANING HE WAS THE ONLY ONE. I DON'T THINK THE KIDS CALL IT THAT ANYMORE. GOING STEADY WAS HOLDING HANDS AND MAYBE GETTING A KISS OR TWO,NEVER WHAT THEY DO TODAY. BOY THAT LIGHTER OF YOUR BROUGHT BACK MEMORIES. I ALSO HAD AN OLD MILK CAN THAT GRAMPS FORGOT TO TAKE OFF THE FRONT STEP AT ONE OF THE HOUSES WE SOLD. HE'S ALWAYS IN A RUSH SO I JUST HAD TO
    FORGET I HAD THAT CAN. I PAINTED IT RED WITH A PICTURE OF THE AMERICAN EAGLE ON TI. I THOUGHT IT WAS COOL AT THE TIME.

    ARE YOU HAVING FUN TODAY? WHAT ARE YOU DOING FOR THANKSGIVING? UNLESS THINGS CHANGE GRAMPS AND I ARE STAYING HOME. SON-IN-LAWS' SISTER WANTS EVERYONE TO COME TO HER HOUSE. GRAMPS AND I WOULDN'T FEEL CONFORTABLE GOING. WE DON'T KNOW HER EXTENDED FAMILY. THAT WOULD BE 11 OF US COMING TO HER HOUSE. WE DONE KNOW EVERYONE. WE BOUGHT A TURKEY BREAST. NO BIG DEAL. JUST STICK IT IN THE OVEN AND BINGO DINNER TIME.
    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have another milk can and it's painted dark red. I leave that one outside and put pots of flowers on it in the summer. I'll be staying home for Thanksgiving and hopefully making a small turkey or a breast of one. Turkey is one of my favorite proteins. i like the way the house smells with everything cooking. Hopefully there will be a James Bond movie marathon on one of the networks too. There usually is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LIKE BEING BY MYSELF.

    GOOD NIGHT EARLY AGAIN.
    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete