Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Keeping the Kiddies Occupied—Vintage Style

This "game" dates to the mid 1920s. The A.C. Gilbert Company was located in New Haven, about 15 miles from our home in Guilford, and would become famous world-wide for its chemistry sets and Erector sets later in the century. The object of this game was to create artistic patterns using a cardboard holder punched with holes, with hundreds of very small shiny metal "marbles" you inserted into the holes using patterned diagrams. I have a feeling Hoohoo rarely, if ever, used the patterns, creative little girl that she was! The cover art is wonderfully evocative of the 1920s, isn't it?

My Addam's Family game is dated 1965, the year after the hit TV show first aired. I've lost the directions, but remember that somehow you needed to collect the various categories of cards, Gomez, Morticia, the Children, etc.

This is a toy I picked up at a tag sale in the early 1980s, and seems to be from the early 1960s. There is a very colorful pressed tin layout, illustrated on the front of the box, and the separate tin train, above, is wound with the key and motors its way around the track. I'm not quite sure where the "magic" comes in, the train only goes in one direction, but it still works perfectly. I really like vintage tin toys, and have quite a few.  

N O T E :  This makes my 75th post for November, a nice number to end on. I'm going to take the entire rest of the month off now, lol. See you tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. Casey, enjoy the rest of the month off - perhaps a cruise is in your plans... lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to cruise on into the kitchen and attempt my first pumpkin pie. and crust from scratch! I bought everything to do it before Thanksgiving, but had way too much other food to cook. I made a potpie last night, and made the crust for that too. It turned out pretty well, so I'm going to try a dessert pie now. wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CASEY, ALWAYS USE LIBBYS PUNKIN IN THE CAN IG YOU WANT THE PERFECT PIE. THERE'S NOTHING BETTER.JUST GO BY THE DIRECTIONS ON THE BACK OF THE CAN.
    GOD LUCK

    GRANNY

    GOOD NIGHT EARLY AFTERNOON.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks, Granny, I actually have Libby's. I'm going to add a bit of whipped cream cheese to the rest of the ingredients, something I heard on the Food Network. I think it makes it a bit creamier. I also like to use freshly grated nutmeg, so it will be a bit spicier. I actually like apple pie the best, but thought I'd start off with a can of something, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never had this, but remember going "visiting"as a kid to my mom's friends. One of their kids had this and I recall really staring at the quaint landscape .I wanted to be in those tiny cars exploring the little side roads.

    I love that text on the side "Hook Metal Knobunder"
    ... is that a good name for a band,a novel, or a cartoon character?

    Enjoy the pie, Casey

    And thank you for a great month!

    AP

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you penning this write-up plus the rest of the website is also
    really good.
    My website - get rid of pimple

    ReplyDelete