Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Irises Flourishing—In 1964

I remember going with my grandmother to the White Flower Farm, in Litchfield, CT, when I was 6-7 years old. I was fascinated with all the splendid flowers for sale there. I was especially taken with the darker colors of Iris she picked out—one was called Root Beer for its brown color. There were also golds and creams, totally different from the reds and oranges and pinks of flowers I was familiar with at such a young age. I wish they had received better care in the '70s and early 80s long after my grandmother died in '69, but unfortunately these Irises died out also. This is a horrible discolored Polaroid, something must have fallen on it and stained it in the intervening years, but Photoshop helped me clean it up pretty well.

5 comments:

  1. ROOT BEER, ROOT BEER, DID I HEAR ROOT BEER. I'LL HAVE TWO GLASSES PLEASE.
    I CAN'T IMAGINE HOW BEAUTIFUL THAT GARDEN MUST HAVE BEEN IF A SIX YEAR OLD LOVED IT. MEMORIES ARE GIVEN TO US WHEN WERE'RE SAD,THEN WE CAN HAVE HAPPY THOUGHTS.EVEN GRANNIES HAVE SAD THOUGHT BUT THE HAPPY THOUGHTS STAY WITH US TO HELP KEEP US GOING.
    CASEY WHEN YOUR 100 YEARS OLD AND YOU GO BACK TO YOUR CHILDHOOD JUST THINK OF ALL THE TOYS YOU'LL HAVE TO PLAY WITH. MAYBE THAT'S WHY I KEPT MY OLD DOLLS. DO YOU THINK?
    TODAY GRAMPS AND I ARE GOING TO A FRIENDS APT AND LISTEN TO HER EVERCARE INSURANCE HELPER ANSWER SOME OF HER QUESTIONS ON NEXT YEARS MEDICINE. THEIR TELLING US THAT THEY WON'T BE PAYING FOR MEDICINES ANYMORE.EVERYTHING KEEPS GETTING MORE AND MORE SCREWED UP EVERYDAY. I' REALLY FEEL FOR US SENIORS.SOMEONE SAID THE OTHER DAY THAT THE GOVERMENT IS TRYING TO WEEDED US OUT. WHO KNOWS COULD BE TRUE.
    JUST LOVE THE SOFTNESS OF THIS PICTURE.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  2. WEED NOT WEEDED. WHATEVER

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I'M OUT OF HERE. TIME TO SAY GOOD NIGHT PAL. A LITTLE TV THEN BED. HUGS
    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Casey and all artandcolour buddies. Hope everyone is doing well. Today we drove out to Hoover Dam for a look at the new bypass bridge that just opened. I posted a few pics on my blog that I took today and will do more when I get home. Hope everyone is doing great.

    Love the Iris photo. When I took my watercolor class a few years ago the Iris flower was my learning project. It is a beautiful flower and really lends itself to the soft flow of watercolors. I remember working on some close to this shade but don't remember if it was the same one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GRANNY LOU, NO ONE IS TAKING AWAY YOUR PRESCRIPTION BENEFIT. ANYONE SAYING PRESCRIPTION COVERAGE IS GOING AWAY IS WRONG AND JUST TRYING TO SCARE YOU. I WOULD BE HORRIFIED. AND CONTRARY TO WHAT SARAH PALIN SAYS, NO ONE IS TRYING TO WEED OUT OR GET RID OF OUR ELDER PEOPLE. MOST OF US LOVE ELDERS. LIKE I LOVE YOU AND YOUR STORIES!

    ReplyDelete