Wednesday, November 17, 2010

In a Pontiac Mood—'68 Firebird Scale Model

This Revell plastic scale model kit of the '68 Firebird 400 dates back to only 2001. It's a reissue, meaning it had been available earlier, probably when the car was new. Even though this Firebird was really a Camaro with a very slight facelift with Pontiac engines, their styling is in my opinion, one of the best offerings on any Pony car ever built. The front end is very grown up, and all of the elements are resolved nicely. The "ironing board" on the hood is perfectly proportioned and the hood scoops on this 400 model couldn't have been more perfect. The side and rear are pretty much standard Camaro with trim changes, but this first series of GM's F cars was beautifully rendered, every bit as classy as GM's larger offerings during this period. The tacky era of the late seventies Camaro was still quite a bit in the future.

8 comments:

  1. This series is my favorite for the Firebird - especially in Trans Am form. I've always had a soft spot for Pontiacs though - or Knudsen designs in general. Go figure :) I have the Danbury Mint versions of a 69 Trans Am in white with blue stripes and my absolute favorite 69 Pontiac GTO convertible in Verdero Green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Casey how are you doing?

    I just stumbled upon this under Blogs of Note:

    http://parisvsnyc.blogspot.com/

    It has some cool designs and perspective from across the sea, thought you might enjoy it.

    I can't believe that T-Day is just about a week away. How long have we been meeting like this? Months and months and it has been an enjoyable ride.

    That's it. From little old me. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi X, I thought I felt your presence. Hope things are good with you as well. From your favorite Vampire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And you are my favorite Annie !
    I need to donate some blood, give me a call!

    ReplyDelete
  5. X - just leave your bedroom window ajar. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first Firebirds (and Camaros) were very cool. I didn't care for the refresh of the 69s so much. The first of the second series were pretty nice as well. The first unadorned ones were really quite elegant although they got kind of junked up with stripes and scoops and all the 70s stuff as time went on. I almost bought a new 71 Firebird but got a one-owner 55 DeSoto Firedome instead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree about the '69s, they were a bit heavy handed compared with the '67-68s. I was surprised when Chevy used the '69 detailing for the new one. I think a cleaner version based on the '67 might have been better looking and less cariactured. I also agree about the original second generation. The '70 1/2 Camaros and Firebirds were elegant and sophisticated. I liked the small "nerf" bumpers that the Camaro RS used, and I loved the Firebird Esprit, the "luxury" model. The Formula's hoodscoops were pretty great too. As the decade wore on though, they just got worse and worse looking in my eyes, as did most cars!

    ReplyDelete