Saturday, November 13, 2010

Happy 160th Birthday Robert Louis Stevenson

Today's Google artwork celebrates Robert Louis Stevenson's 160th birthday. "Ding Ding," of course I have a relevant collection, lol. In addition to my set of antique RLS books (read below for details), there is a lineup of red sports cars, including 2 Ferraris, a Lotus Elite, a vintage Mustang fastback slot car and a Corvette. The Quaker Yellow Cornmeal container holds an antique puzzle. I have no idea what the image on the puzzle is, they're all very small pieces, but I'll try to put it together this winter and find out. There are also vintage movie postcards for the "classic" Dragstrip Girl (1957), and Dragstrip Riot, (1958) which starred Fay Wray and Connie Stevens!

M Y   C O L L E C T I O N — This vintage set of RLS novels dates back to 1909. That would make these books a special collection of reprints as the author died in 1894. Each book measures approximately 4 1/2 x 6 3/4 inches and range from 250-425 pages. They are covered in very, very thin and dried out leather, almost a paperback thickness, with gold leaf on the bindings. I found these at the bottom of an old chest of my family's and are in pretty poor condition actually, with bindings that are loose and covers that have come off. All the pages are intact however, and they are not stained or unreadable in any way, but I hesitate to even touch them at this point. They live in this built-in bookshelf in between my livingroom and guest room.

Some of Stevenson's titles include, Treasure Island, Prince Otto, the Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Kidnapped, New Arabian Nights and many, many more, most of which appear in my collection.

For the Wiki on this very influential Scottish author, click here.

Today's Google artwork, Argghhh, Ahoy, Matey! I absolutely adore Google's artwork, and appreciate their choices of special days. For anyone unfamiliar with this feature on Google, any time you go to Google and see artwork on, or over, their usual logo, just click on the art and you'll discover what it's all about.

5 comments:

  1. I love that you have so many spaces to display your vast array of treasures! I am still hoping to find a bookcase or shelving to fit into my very small available space. Thanks for the info on Google...cool feature.
    mare
    oh, and Happy Birthday Mr. Stevenson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, I'm lucky with this apartment. It's old and has lots of cool built-in nooks and crannies and I have tons of bookcases and horizontal surfaces. A lot of my shelves/bookcases would probably have been thrown out a long time ago, but with a little care and a few nails, glue and paint, they're holding up. Just like me!
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I COULD SEE YOU OWNING A BARN STYLE HOME WITH AN ART STUDIO IN THE LOFT. HAIR FLOWING DOWN YOUR BACK, STANDING THERE THROWING PAINT AT YOUR CANVAS. PLAYING MUSIC IN THE BACKGROUND TO GET YOUR CREATED JUICES FLOWING. OF COURSE DOORS LOCKED NOT TO BE DISTURBED. KNOCK, KNOCK. CAN I COME IN AND WATCH?

    ALMOST TIME FOR MY SUNDAY HOUR WITH TV CHURCH. LOCAL MINISTER OUT OF LARGO.[A GRAMPA TYPE WITH A SIMPLE MESSAGE EACH WEEK}

    ENJOY YOUR DAY EVERYONE. I'M GOING TO OPEN THE DOOR PORCH AND ENJOY THE FRESH AIR. WHATEVER, RIGHT?

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're very close, Granny! I would absolutely love to have one big space to live and work in. My ideal house would be a big loft. But I'm buzzing my hair down to the scalp these days, so no flowing hair for me right now! The longest I've had it recently is an old-fashioned crew cut.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I CAN STILL HAVE A VISION. LOL WHEN YOU GET TO BE MY AGE VISIONS ARE GOOD .LOL I HOPE YOU GET THAT SPACE SOMEDAY. A LOFT WOULD BE NICE.FOR ME,IT WOULD HAVE TO BE A QUIET SPACE WITH FEW PEOPLE. NATURE ALL AROUND ME AND FEW CAR SOUNDS. A HORSE OR TWO WOULD BE NICE.

    NAP TIME.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete