Monday, November 22, 2010

Flowers Few and Far Between, But ...

A slightly filtered closeup of my small Christmas cactus.

Although my Thanksgiving cactus has already finished blooming this season, this small Christmas cactus is starting to throw off a few buds and blooms. The leaves are rounded on this plant as opposed to the slightly barbed leaves of the Thanksgiving variety. The flowers on this one are a nice pure pink, and the earlier cactus's flowers are salmon, almost orange in some lights. This plant was rooted only last year, after my 115 year old plant was clearly not going to make it to 116, so I'm very happy that this "youngster" is happy this year.

2 comments:

  1. Your blooming cycle is a holiday ahead of mine. My Thanksgiving cacti have been blooming for the last week or so. Nothing on my Christmas cactus yet. I'm really happy I can move them to the new house though, had I moved out of state I'd have lost them all. I've had so many of my plants for so many years that they are part of the family, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same about mine! Besides the old plants that were in my family, I have at least ten plants I've bought in the past 20 years and have kept them all going for all these years. That's quite an accomplishment considering how I led my life for so many of those years. I think plants are good karma for people.

    ReplyDelete