Saturday, November 6, 2010

1969 Mercury Comet Sport Coupe—Mine!

Though I only seem to have one photo of a partial front fender of my first car, I have the brochure the car appeared in as new. My '69 Comet was bought in the spring of '73 when I got my driver's license. The car had 36,000 miles and was really clean. It was dark blue metallic, without the vinyl roof seen in this illustration. It came equipped with a 302 V8, automatic transmission, power steering, power brakes, factory air conditioning and a power trunk release. I remember it handling really well on radial tires; my dad was an early proponent of radials which were just then beginning to be equipped by the factory on new cars. Mine had full Ford's wire wheel covers of the period, pretty great looking hubcaps. The interior was otherwise poverty spec, with rubber floor coverings instead of carpeting and a very thin cloth and vinyl interior that had a few rips in it already even though it was only 4 years old at the time.

2 comments:

  1. You were a lucky boy to get such a nice car for your first! Factory air! Wow. It's odd that what was essentially a stripper came so well equipped. My first was a 56 Chrysler Windsor Nassau (the cheapy hardtop) that I bought from a nearby Cadillac-Studebaker (yes, that's correct) for $100 in the fall of 1965. Boy, did I love that car, but, alas, I have NO pictures of it. I wish did. Oh well.

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  2. wouldn't we all love to have our first car back! and my second. and third...

    ReplyDelete