Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Early 20th Century Miami Beach Postcard

Is There Even One Square Inch of Deserted Beach in Miami Today?

This undated vintage postcard of Miami Beach shows a beautiful, undeveloped stretch of tropical Miami Beach. The windblown palm tree and the whitecaps in the water, speak of a blustery Miami winter day, or perhaps a gathering storm. The black-and-white image illustrates just how much can be done with the photographer's eye while not resorting to the retina-searing bright colors used on postcards today. This example was found in a trunk of items belonging to my great-aunt Edith who died in the early 1920s after contracting the Spanish Flu in 1919 and never fully recovering. I'd guess this is from the 1900-1910 period.

On the back of the postcard in the upper right corner, is this stamp placeholder. I've googled for an hour trying to figure out what the "A Z O" surrounding the "Place Stamp Here" type means, but to no avail. Any ideas?

U P D A T E :  Loyal reader Annie has solved my newest mystery! The AZO is a paper mark, which now can be used to date unpostmarked cards like this. According to the listing, AZO with two triangles pointing up and two pointing down, date this card to the 1918-1930 period. Now I'm guessing that my grandfather might have purchased this for his sister. He was in boot camp in Georgia during 1918, and could have bought the card at that time. Here's the site Annie found. Bookmarked and added to my "Reference" list.

9 comments:

  1. Casey it appears that AZO might be the type of paper, see:

    http://histclo.com/photo/pc/type/per/pct-perc.html

    What think you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also tons of stuff if you Google AZO paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I THINK I SAT UNDER THAT PALM TREE BACK BEFORE YOU WERE BORN OR THOUGHT ABOUT.LOL
    GRANNY J/K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie: That's it! I never thought about it being a paper mark, i thought it had to do only with postage. According to the site, this card is dated from 1918-1930, a little newer than I thought. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AREN'T YOU GLAD I INTRODUCED ANNIE TO YOUR BLOG. LOOK ALL THE KNOWLEDGE SHE BRINGS. SHE CAN BRING THE SMARTS AND I KEEP BRINGING THE ONLINERS AND THE TYPING ERRORS. GO ANNIE.

    HAVE FOUND. I'M OFF TO A SECRET MISSION.I'LL PEEK WHEN I CAN.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Secret Mission"????? What can it be? I'm on pins and needles.

    Thanks Casey and Granny for such nice comments. I just love hanging out under Casey's Blog Roof, it's such a comfortable place...
    ...well except when X is shoving and pinching me in whatever backseat we are riding in at the time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you!! The AZO postmark information was very helpful in helping me to date a post card I bought in an antique store. It's AZO with four upward facing triangles, so 1904-1918! Great information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very cool! thanks for stopping lks. Hope you check out my blog again.

      Delete
  8. Dear Casey,

    I was wondering if there were still copyrights on that early 20th century Miami Beach postcard. Do you own the rights to this picture because I think I saw your watermark in the bottom right corner? Or do u know the photographer? I would like to use it as part of a logo for my new website.

    I can be reached at michael.goovaerts@gmail.com


    Sincerely, Michael

    ReplyDelete