Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"A device for shrinking time and distance" original ad for 1964 Pontiac GTO

Repost from March 2, the third week of this blog.

Cover of advertisement for the 1964 GTO, stapled into one of my old car magazines. Click to enlarge.

C O L L E C T I O N — Leafing through my old magazines the other day, I found an 8 page, full color advertisement for the original 1964 Pontiac GTO. It was stapled into the April '64 issue of Car and Driver. That first year, the GTO was an option package for the Tempest line, as GM's internal rules limited engine sizes per chassis size. The GTO option was John Z. DeLorean's idea, one of the bold decisions that helped make his rise in GM's ranks legendary. Absolutely no gratuitous stainless steel or cocaine jokes in this here blog, lol.

The first spread has the GTO Sports Coupe in Grenadier Red on the left, That was Pontiac's way of saying '2 door pillared sedan' or 2 door post sedan, as many of that era called them. The right-hand page showed the GTO convertible in Cameo Ivory. Click to read.

The second spread shows the pillarless hardtop GTO Hardtop in Nocturne Blue and what is described as a 'Black Fabric Top." This was so early in the vinyl roof fad, that a common name for the option wasn't nailed down yet. The right-hand page quotes some options/accessories and specs. Click to read.

The last spread illustrates features and options, including the venerated triple-carb 389, good for a listed 348hp. Interiors came in a choice of six colors! Think about that the next time you're sitting in your modern, most likely gray, interior. Click to read all the goodies.

The back cover shows more features, including dealer-installed 'splitter' exhausts. Now that was a dealer-accessory I would have agreed with! Click to read.

6 comments:

  1. I well remember this insert -- I think it was a handout at the New York Auto Show that year. I thought a dark blue sports coupe (it will always be a two-door sedan to me!) would have been nice. Those GM intermediates from 64 to 67 made SO much sense as cars. Who really needed anything bigger?

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD MORNING, BRISK COOL DAY. LOVE IT. I SAY KEEP IT COMING. THE OAK TREE THAT'S IN THE BACKYARD JUST ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE HOMEOWERS ASSOCIATION FENCE HAS DROPPED IT'S ACORNS AND WHAT A MESS. THE SQUIRRELS WILL BE WELL FED THIS WINTER.THE OAK TREE IN THE FRONT YARD HAS MADE A MESS, ALSO.I THINK ALL OAK TREE SHOULD ONLY GROW IN PASTURES TO SHADE HORSES AND SHOW OFF THEIR GRAND BEAUTY. THEIR BEAUTIFUL BUT KEEPS A PERSON WORKING CLEANING UP AFTER THEM. [LEAVES AND ACORNS]. OH WELL,IT GIVES GRAMPS SOMETHING TO DO.

    CASEY KEEP BUSY WITH ALL YOU HAVE TO DO AND STAY IN YOUR CONFORT ZONE. I STAY IN MINE ALSO. I DON'T CARE FOR CROWDS AND LOUD NOISE. I ENJOY BEING ALONE. I DON'T MINE SMALL GROUPS.

    IT WOULD BE A GOOD DAY TO GO FOR A RIDE IN MY MAZDA CONVERTIBLE.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're correct, Paul. The intermediates of the later sixties are all anyone, even today, really needs. I'm thinking one of the rare 4 door pillarless sedans in GM's middle cars of '66-'67, might be a great car to restomod today, with 4 wheel disc brakes, more powerful and fuel efficient engine, satnav, headrests all around, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I recall correctly (and I could look it up except I'm too lazy at the moment!) the first use of the name Cutlass Supreme was on the 1966 Cutlass 4-door hardtop.

    Paul, NYC

    P.S. I love that you use the British term "satnav."

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol. I used to read way too many british car magazines! if i could get to the magazine store in new haven these days I still would!

    I remember a Chevelle 4 door hardtop, a '66 I believe. It belonged to a gym teacher. I think it might be the only one I've ever seen except for photos and brochures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the GM A-bodies had them starting in 1966 but I don't think they were that popular. I think they got more popular in the 68-72 generation. Remember the Luxury LeMans? I thought that was a pretty elegant trim package that came out late in that iteration's run. I think it debuted in 72 and then was carried over on the 73 and later models where it didn't work nearly as well.

    ReplyDelete