Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Chevelle 2 door Wagon by Johnny Lightning

Looking just a bit crude enlarged as it is, this is Matchbox-sized, 3 inches long, this 1965 Chevelle 300 2 door wagon is one of Johnny Lightning's odder choices for a scale model car. These wagons were scarce when new and not all that collectible now, even though the greenhouse was clearly meant to evoke the classic Nomad of '55-'57. I placed the little car directly on the scanner to get these photos, hence the odd angles! This scale model dates to 2003, and is one of the reasons that drew me to Johnny Lightnings in the first place—the more rare an original production car is, the move I like to have a model of it.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. It does seem a bit crude -- it looks almost as if they put a pickup cap on an El Camino! But of course that's pretty much what the 2-door wagon was and why they made one in the first place. Chevrolet hadn't had a big 2-door wagon since 1960 (or an El Camino for that matter -- although wouldn't a 61 El Camino and/or 2-door wagon have been sharp) and didn't offer one as either a Corvair (now THAT would be something -- a 2-door Lakewood!) or a Chevy II. I think it must have been Hemmings who featured a driveable dream of a 64 Chevelle 2-door wagon ordered from the factory by the current owner's family. It had a big V8 and a 4-speed if I recall correctly. I don't archive Hemmings so I can't go back and check out the details. Do you remember this?

    I love 2-door wagons and would love to have a Falcon 2-door wagon (60-65) or a Comet (60-63). You don't see so many of them these days!

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I remember the wagon tested in Hemmings. I'm sure I still have the issue, though they're not organized in any coherent fashion, lol. I can't remember if I had this model before or after I read that article, but I remember thinking how cool that car was, and how rare it must be. I really don't remember seeing any of them back in the day except for in the brochures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, as I recall the 64 brochure, it was illustrated at an angle that really didn't show much of a side view -- I picture it being kind of a front 1/4 view.

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete