Friday, November 12, 2010

$3.99 Car of the Week: 1974 Gremlin

I actually bought this Gremlin several years ago, but with my recent AMC post on its '74 lineup, I realized this little Matchbox-sized Gremlin should have been posted also. This is a series called "Fresh Cherries" by MotorMax and has great detail for such an inexpensive collector piece. I find it interesting that they chose the '74 Gremlin, which isn't the most attractive version. I would have gone with either the original '70 or the '77 which had a shortened and more attractive facelift, but for "oddity" value, this '74 is right up there. I also bought a '70 Maverick Grabber and a '71 Pinto Runabout at the same time, and they all came in factory colors, always a nice touch.

6 comments:

  1. This little gremlin is back home too. I see I have lots of catch up to do on your blog Casey, you've been busy.

    Hi everybody, hope things are going well for all of you. Mare hope your Dad is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the maverick and the pinto but never quite felt it for the Gremlin..not sure why as I LOVE a car that has a hatch and different look to it.
    mare

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie: welcome back!
    Mare: Your Malibu Maxx fits your description perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't konw Mare has a Malibu Maxx! I thought they were really cool -- loads of room in the back seat and a unique appearance. I never did get all the hate about that generation of the Malibu -- the one before it, yes, but not the one that included the Maxx. A Maxx version of the current one would be very cool.

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Paul, yes indeed, I have a Maxx...I'm cool like that and that's how I roll! jk!!
    I do love it a LOT..a solid little car (except a dent in the front right fender where a dog ran INTO it !! Left a good dent AND hair on it! Hence my max's name "Hairry Max Dentin"
    Now you all have proof...I AM a total dork!
    mare

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I recall, in 74 the govt mandated hefty bumpers. Moreover, they had to be at a certain height, lest vehicles collide and the bumpers override each other. It took years for manufacturers to figure out how to do it without making the cars positively ugly. That's why the 74 Gremlin is so hideous compared to prior years. Many other cars suffered the same fate.

    Our family grew up with American Motors, and so I learned to defend them, whether they deserved it or not.

    http://tinyurl.com/29gt6ne

    ReplyDelete