Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Old Art O'Mine

The attic project has yielded a bunch of old art of mine, packed away during the last move, but unseen for years before that. The "cars" piece on the left dates to 1970-71, when I was 13-14, and shows five different models for my mythical "Delgiata" car company. They were all take-offs (early chops!) of current cars like the Barracuda, Super Bee and Cougar. The multicolored portrait at the right was done in college, a self-portrait. I wanted to capture my spirit and not so much the exterior facade, so I rendered it in everything but "flesh-tones" and brown hair. The piece in the background, flaking off in sheets, is all I have left of a set I painted for a college production of "Alice in Wonderland." This section was a parrot on a huge exotic-looking flower. I'm going to have to figure out a way of preserving what's left, probably a mixture of Elmer's glue and polyurethane.

B O N U S   P H O T O — A better view of the Cosmos this morning. Those cedar posts are eight-feet tall, and some of the stems are taller than they are.

4 comments:

  1. STOP YOUR KILLING ME WITH ALL THIS GOOD STUFF. I DON'T GET A THING DONE AROUND HERE BECAUSE OF THE BLOGS. LOL. GOOD FOR ME BUT BAD FOR THE DUST BUNNIES.THEY MISS ME THE DUST RAG.

    HI GUYS AND GALS.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'll be posting some more attic shows soon! i even vacuumed up there the other day, lol. I"m not even close to being finished, but I have a couple of books to work on so I've stopped working up there for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll say the self portrait was done during your 'blue period'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Casey,

    Why am I not surprised that you had a mythical car company? I had one too. It was called Criterion and the slogan was "The Criterion by which all others are judged."

    I'm kind of hazy on all the details (it was more than 40 years ago and there was no artwork although I did write a description of the catalog -- models, colors, interior fabrics) but it was based on my love of Packard. There was an Eight, a Super Eight, a Custom Eight and a Twelve. I wish I had all the legal pad pages that I wrote out about it. Thanks for jogging my memory (as you do so often!).

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete