Tuesday, August 10, 2010

You Can't Stick it on With Soap. It Needs Sewing.

All photos clickable to enlarge as usual at this blog.

D I G I T A L   P H O T O G R A P H Y — One morning the sun was particularly strong and the shadows were particularly sharp. The old tools on the porch were rested from all the hard work the day before; the old tool behind the camera wasn't. Seeing the geometry and symmetry created by nature was as good as a third cup of coffee for me—participating in the creation of art is always a rush. The way the shadows began exactly at the point where the physical tools ended, I was reminded of that scene in Peter Pan when Wendy sews his shadow back on to his feet, "You can't stick it on with soap, Peter. It needs sewing." As a kid I went around for weeks after seeing for the first time that classic Mary Martin movie, trying to shake off my shadow, seeing if I could outrun it or trick it into going the wrong way with quick moves from side-to-side. For weeks, I tell ya!

The shadows of the leaves in the background add a whimsical counterpoint to the stark linearity of the shadows in the foreground.

For Your Musical Pleasure, lol
I'm listening to Chasing Pavements by Adele as I write this. For a YouTube video, click here, I love her voice, it's so clear and soulful and pure, without a hint of that warbling American Idol vibrato singers use when they can't quite hit the exact note. Adele just hits the exact note over and over and over again.

(I'm not being lazy when I provide links instead of embedding the videos in the blog. I really don't like the way embedded videos look in blogs and since my blog is all about the visuals, I'd rather just use a nice, neat link instead. I also think embedding videos slows down blog pages, even with high-speed connectivity, as do those interactive rollover ads or whatever you call 'em. You'll never see an ad at casey/artandcolour!)

7 comments:

  1. I must have heard this poem read to me a million time before I went to bed each night:

    I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me,
    And what can be the use of him is more than I can see.

    He is very, very like me from the heels up to the head;
    And I see him jump before me, when I jump into my bed.

    The funniest thing about him is the way he likes to grow--
    Not at all like proper children, which is always very slow;

    For he sometimes shoots up taller like an india-rubber ball,
    And he sometimes goes so little that there's none of him at all.

    He hasn't got a notion of how children ought to play,
    And can only make a fool of me in every sort of way.

    He stays so close behind me, he's a coward you can see;
    I'd think shame to stick to nursie as that shadow sticks to me!

    One morning, very early, before the sun was up,
    I rose and found the shining dew on every buttercup;

    But my lazy little shadow, like an arrant sleepy-head,
    Had stayed at home behind me and was fast asleep in bed.

    "A Child's Garden of Verses: - Robert Lewis Stevenson

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT?

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED THE SONGALSO.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  4. CASEY, DIDN'T WE ALL CHASE OUR SHADOW? I DID.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the straight on pitchfork shot. Now my desktop image of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She does have a great voice, have you ever heard of Kim Sanders? I'm surprised she's not up there with everyone else.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Ra3jmPCgU

    PS: The video is to some extent a past experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the play of light and shadows...i see it but don't always pay attention in my own life...I get busy and forget..thanks to you I am once more reminded to "PAY ATTENTION"!!!
    mare

    ReplyDelete