Thursday, August 19, 2010

Flowers from Here and There

A lovely pink Dahlia photographed at Harkness Memorial State Park. This plant was 18 inches tall, and the flower was only about two inches wide. I think it may have been a dwarf variety.

My Morning Glories the other day. They've reached the top of the vegetable garden fence, and I've strung fishing wire horizontally in three additional rows for them to climb on. The vines are close to 6 1/2 feet tall now and approximately 12 feet wide. I hope to see a wall of blue flowers sometime in September, as they tend to like cool mornings the best.


An undetermined flower, also shot at Harkness Memorial State Park. This flower was tiny, not quite an inch wide, and the foliage was growing along the ground in the grass near some overgrowth. It looks a bit like a scallion flower, but it wasn't. I think it's some sort of succulent perhaps. Those leaves it's laying on do not belong to the flower. The only part of the flower's plant visible is the thin green stem to the right of the bloom. It sort of looks like a Bee Balm as well, but I think they're bushier. Leave it to me to be fascinated by a tiny purple flower in the grass of a state park of more than 200 acres with several formal gardens, lol.

Another view of my Lemon Sunflower and its proximity to the Morning Glories. Note the center of the sunflower. I shot this photo Tuesday late afternoon, and rings of yellow flowerets had appeared in the dark brown center, in an almost polka-dotted fashion from a few feet away. By late this afternoon, they were gone, and the center was completely dark brown again. I'm not sure why, but there are tons of bees and butterflies that have been snacking on its nectar, so perhaps they were yellow with pollen. I love the blue and yellow together, but I have to wake up early to see them together. The morning glories are pretty much done and shriveled up by 11am.

3 comments:

  1. I'M RUNNING OUT OF WORDS AS TO WHAT TO SAY ABOUT YOUR FLOWER PICTURES. JUST KEEP THEM COMING.I ENJOY THEM SO MUCH.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just can't decide if I like the blue morning glories or the sunflower better, guess I'll just have to plant both !

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks! I promise I'll get back to some more 'substantial' posts soon, instead of just pics and captions, but it's been a busy summer. well, busy for me, lol.

    ReplyDelete