Sunday, August 22, 2010

Complex Shapes, Simple Flowers

Definitely the drama queen of flower buds, I think I'm more fascinated by sunflower buds than the actual flowers! They're so 'armed and dangerous' looking, yet they're soft to the touch, an absolutely gorgeous shade of green and quickly open overnight once they're ready. Sunflowers don't fool around, and I can't believe I've never had them in my garden before.

Wild Snapdragon, or Linaria vulgaris, is a 'weed' which I've introduced into one of my flowerbeds, ie pulled up from the side of the road and brought home in my backpack. They have a lovely wispy leaf system and stems, almost like a short Cosmos or an Asparagus Fern if they stood straight up. They don't flower until late summer and early fall and get thicker each year—this is only the second year I've had them. My mother used to call them "Butter and Eggs" or "Eggs and Cream" or "Butter and Cream" lol. I think she called them by all three because I just can't ever remember, and I'm pretty good at the colloquial names of wildflowers. For more about this distinctive wildflower, click here.


No, this Zinnia isn't terribly complicated in shape, but I'm fascinated at how it changes each day. It began as a relatively flat Daisy-like flower, and as the petals opened up, the entire flower filled out almost like one of those foam multi-piece sponge thingies on a stick they sell to clean dishes with. Know what I mean, lol? Other Zinnias have opened up into almost Chrysanthemum-like buttons, but this one is simple and complex all at once. And let's face it, I love featuring Zinnias in my blog! : )

1 comment:

  1. I TOO LIKE THE SUNFLOWER BEFORE IT OPENS. VERY STRONG AND LOOKS LIKE IT KNOWS WHO IS IN CHARGE. THREE CHEERS FOR SUNFLOWERS.SOME DAY YOU'LL BE IN CHARGE OF MY FLOWERS IN THE NEXT WORLD BECAUSE I'LL TAKE NO OTHER TO TALK TO MY FLOWERS.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete