Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Blue Stems, Golden Petals, Magenta Leaves

These photos were taken Sunday afternoon at Harkness Memorial State Park. Not sure of this variety of thistles. They're on their way out, but were quite small flowered, quite thickly branched, and low to the ground. The blue stems were quite eye catching next to the much taller Rudebeckia, or Black-Eyed Susan's behind them.

Mounds of Black-Eye Susans 6 feet tall. They swayed back and forth in the slight breeze.

Another view of the coleus foliage I posted yesterday.

And yet a different grouping of coleus. I don't have any this year in my gardens, but I always have in the past. I'll have to plant some next year. There are so many new varieties.

5 comments:

  1. That blue thistle is so vibrant ! Did you enhance these photos in photoshop or are they "real" ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I color correct the photos, this camera adds an overall yellow cast to exterior photos. I didn't really add any color, but when you reduce yellow you pop the blues more. These stems were absolutely gorgeous. I have to find out what type of thistle they are for next year's garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please let me know when you find out - I HAVE to get some. I LOVE blue in the garden....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wouldn't it be fun to design a garden. Choose the trees, the plants, the colors, the everything.

    Probably the best part of the gig would be that other people would do the really hard work.

    I might help a little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Designing a garden: Mary has done that for some pretty rich clients. I've only designed someone else's plantings once, around 10 years ago. It was fun thinking of the colors and the seasons, because everything blooms in its own cycle, so you have to keep in mind time and space and color and size... I haven't seen those friends since it was finished though. That was just about the time i 'retired' from public life, lol.

    ReplyDelete