Monday, August 23, 2010

Before I Started Creating My Fake Cars ...

Jaguar. 
(all images clickable to see larger)

Opel.

Renault.

Thunderbird.

D I G I T A L   A R T — Before I started creating my photoshopped fake cars, I played around with automotive press photos in a different way. Basically I was practicing in Photoshop, and using car photos to keep my interest. If there was anything I learned taking piano lessons most of my life, it was that practicing was REALLY difficult to do when I was bored with the piece of music for that week. I worked in Photoshop for my job doing pretty boring stuff like resizing photos, creating feathered edges or drop shadows, and color-correcting poorly scanned photos. I knew there were tons of filters and techniques I'd never need, but wanted to learn. I took a couple of classes and seminars, did online tutorials and then just started at the top of each pull down menu, testing each one, seeing how every single item worked. I learned to modify every preset function for better control, and this process actually ended up making everything I do in the program easier and more fun. 

I found these OLD photoshop exercises tonight on a CD dating back to 2001. I cringe at most of these today, I believe the term 'heavy handed' was meant for my technique on these desktop wallpapers, which is what I used them for. At the same time, there is a kernel of the nascent artandcolour "look" beginning to develop.

Follow the jump for four more of these desktop/wallpaper creations.


Cadillac.


Toyko Motor Show.


Jaguar.

Saab.

4 comments:

  1. The first Jaguar "wallpaper" is my personal favorite. Love the color mix. And the layers. You really have to look at it multiple times to see all that is illustrated. It definitely draws you in.
    That said, every one has something to offer. Some are timeless, while others are time capsules transporting the viewer back to 2001.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ONE AND FOUR ARE MY FAVORITES. THE FIRST ONE LOOKS LIKE A HORSE RUNNING THROUGH IT. HORSES ARE MY THRID LOVE BESIDES GRAMPS. THE FOURTH ONE. LOVE THE COLORS.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  3. G'Morning!

    Granny, what looks like an animal leaping through it is Jaguar's "Leaper" hood ornament, so you were close, it's an animal all right, a Jaguar.

    I remember these were fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning everyone, just thought I would check in and see what everyone has been up to. Still in the 'half world' but will get with it all in a bit. Need to take care of some business here on the computer and then off to the market, wish it was close enough to walk to. Got to de-clutter my desk, seriously! Later all.

    ReplyDelete