Monday, August 23, 2010

And Here's the Turbo 2.0T Coupe!

Hot off the software.... my Sonata 2.0T coupe, in Pearl White.

C H O P — Not content with just chopping a Sonata Hybrid coupe, I just finished making a coupe from their new Sonata Turbo. The regular Sonata and Turbo have slightly different rear taillights and rear bumper and detailing from the Hybrid models, as well as a completely different front fascia not seen in this view. In addition to losing two doors, I added a black glass roof and a slight amount of black rocker trim including the rear 'diffuser' around the tail pipes. I enlarged the wheels slightly also, one of my main complaints about any of the new Sonatas. It's not that they're small, they're available in 16, 17 and 18 inch sizes, normal these days, but for some reason, they just look a bit small in those voluptuous wheelwells. I've made mine approximately 20 inches. Again, pillarless construction prevails, and I absolutely love the way this chop came out. I think it looks nicer than the somewhat oddly styled new E coupe from Mercedes, with its even odder 2 piece rear side windows. Hyundai: you can have this for free, just build it!

Original Photo:
If there is a better looking sedan in the Sonata's price range, I haven't seen it yet. One of the few cars I've seen up close and personal as well, having perused one in a parking lot, I can say the design holds up under scrutiny also. The interior is just about as nice, the one I saw having a two-tone beige and black color scheme with cloth seats. This press photo is unbelievably dull though, dull colored house, dull pavement and does nothing for the car. You can see with a little work in Photoshop, and making the car white, the image could have popped so much more, and isn't that the point of a professional manufacturer's PR photo? Thanks to PhantomX for suggesting I publish the original photo, too.

11 comments:

  1. Ah! Now now this deserves two big thumps up!!!
    What an amazing design that you can only see here on this spectacular website.

    The single line pillar highlights the luxury touches one would one expect from an expensive car, but I wouldn't be surprised if Hyundai translates something as nice as this into production.

    Good Job, Casey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Woody! I really like this white Sonato coupe. I think it came out just the way I envisioned it at first.

    Next, I'm going to try something a bit more adventurous. I'm goign to see if I can come up with a big Hyundai like the Equus. but with their new fluidic design. I think I'll start with the Sonata and see if I can make it larger and keep it graceful. I want to like the Equus, but it's more like a bigger Azera, old school Hyundai styling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casey,

    A feast of Hyundais! All of these are terrific. Will anyone but Mercedes ever make a pillarless coupe again? Perhaps if they ever make a Mustang notchback. The first generation Mustang (64-66 -- my favorites) looked so elegant with all their windows down -- I think they used a white one in the early ads and it was fantastic. Hyundai appears at this point to be very forward thinking -- perhaps they will listen to you! The Japanese have never been big on pillarless coupes -- Toyota had some nice ones on the early Coronas -- I think the first three generations -- before they became Camrys. There have been Camry coupes of course, but not pillarless. I look forward to your take on the Equus!

    Paul, new York City

    ReplyDelete
  4. Casey, you have become so good at your chops that you really need to start posting before and after pics! Being a Deetroit boy, I didn't even know what the new Sonata Turbo looked like (until I happened upon the same image you started with via google)
    Your 2 door looks better than the original 4! Absolutely production ready. Your chops have outgrown this blog - you should be doing these commercially !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Your wish is my command. I just posted the original photo in the post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a receptionist job once (I don't type, I was purely decorative)where I sometimes met the guy who was responsible for the ad campaign that introduced the Infinity brand. Remember...very Zen. Kind of boring.

    Anyway, I think my point is that sometimes I'm puzzled by the ad agency's choices. Putting that color Sonata in front of a dun colored building is really a disservice to the car. Just use a picture of someone yawning, why dontcha'?

    I won't say anything about a Catera, Cindy Crawford and a duck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BOY, WHEN THE BOYS GET TOGETHER THAT'S ALL THEY DO IS TALK ABOUT CARS. LOL

    WAITING FOR SOME MORE FLOWERS OR SOME MORE OF YOUR PICTURES. OR MAYBE YOU CANNING TOMATOES. J/K

    TIME FOR BED. STILL NO A/C. RAIN STOPPED THE GUYS FROM COMING OVER TO FIX IT. VERY HOT HERE IN THE HOUSE. NO FLANNELS TONIGHT.LOL

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  8. Granny: I'm having some trouble with one of the house's tenants, so I haven't walked around the yard in the past couple of days. It has been raining too. I'll try to get some new flower photos soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you did an amazing job... very skillful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Casey I found your pictures from a google search and I am blown away. I love your coupe designs. Its not the sort of thing that would be picked up by the factories (too smart) but your designs should be grabbed by the custom shops in California. We dont have that sort of industry in Australia but I wish we did.

    Do you do any pumped guards or wild stuff like that? I found your pictures when I was looking for ideas for a race car I intend building based on either an i45 or elantra which will be pumped by 4" each side, a big rear wing and front spoiler (a bit like your trams am or grand am racing).

    I look forward to looking at your future work.

    Tony Cossor

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tony! Always happy to hear from new friends! I don't have any chops like what you describe. I tend to photoshop the way I'd like to see production cars made. I just started a second blog just for my car pieces, and I hope you check that out too!

    casey

    http://artandcolourcars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete