Monday, July 19, 2010

$1.19 Car of the Week #4-'55 Lincoln Futura

Johnny Lightnings are one of the most accurate Matchbox-sized, inexpensive scale cars available. This one shocked me though!

S C A L E   M O D E L   C A R S — OK, Truth be told, I only paid $1.00 for this model at a local dollar store. Yes, I paid only one thin dollar to have a perfect 1:87 1:64 scale model of one of the most influential dream cars of the Fifties, Ford Motor Company's Lincoln Futura. Cognoscenti will recognize this car as the basis for the George Barris-customized Batmobile of the Sixties TV show. I couldn't believe my eyes that Johnny Lightning had created this tiny version of a one-off Fifties dream car, and in almost perfect scale and color.

For more information on this cool car click here. The tiny photos are thumbnails so you can click on them and enlarge each one.

U P D A T E :  Keith, also known as PhantomX, alerted me that a couple of these Lincoln Futuras by Johnny Lightning were on eBay for sale for a LOT more than I paid. I checked them out, and they're selling for $89.95!!! I just found two of them and though one box is slightly different than mine, one is identical, and they're both almost $100. I guess I have a good eye after all! I won't sell mine, I only buy what I really like so I hate to sell anything, but it's great to know that I might have a small investment going on! I used to call my 10 original 1967 Hot Wheels my "401K-cars" because they're so crazy expensive now, but I had no idea that new scale model cars could be that collectible. I probably have more than 1,000 tiny cars like this one, unopened in their boxes still, stored in cartons in the attic. I used to have a small 'shopping' problem when times were good! Yippee, and thanks, Keith!

5 comments:

  1. I HAVE A YELLOW METAL SCHOOL BUS THAT WAS GIVEN TO MY FAVORITE AUNT BY A LITTLE BOY THAT RODE HER BUS. SHE DROVE SCHOOL BUS FOR YEARS FOR OUR SCHOOL IN UPSTATE N.Y.. I CHERISH THAT BUS. EVERYTIME I LOOK AT THAT THE BUS I CAN SEE HER BEHIND THE STEERING WHEEL. ALL THE KIDS LOVED HER. SHE NEVER TOOK ANY GUFF FROM THE KIDS. SHE WAS A HYPOCHANDRIAC [LOL] AND SHE WORE THIS CHAIN AROUND HER NECK WITH A TEAPOT HANGING ON IT. INSIDE SHE WOULD PUT A PIECE OF CAMPHOR TO WARD OFF COLDS THAT THE KIDS WOULD BRING ON THE BUS. [SO FUNNY] BUT GOD BLESS HER SHE WAS A CHARM. SHE ALSO WORE A WHISTLE AROUND HER NECK. IF A KID WOULD START SOMETHING ON THE BUS SHE'D PULL THE BUS OVER TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD, STAND IN THE ISLE AND GIVE ONE TOOT. IF SHE HAD TO GIVE TWO, YOU WERE OFF THE BUS, LEFT TO WALK THE REST OF THE WAY. THREE CHEERS FOR MY AUNT. TODAY THE LITTLE SWEETIES ARE GIVEN HUGS AND THE BUS DRIVERS ARE FIRED. LITTLE SNOTS.LOL

    SO HOW'S YOUR DAY GOING? LET GO LOOK AT CARS AT THE DEALERS TODAY.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  2. i always love your comments, Granny! I think little toy cars are a great way to foster memories. I always give my friends children Matchbox cars whether they're girls or boys. It's the way they remember me. One little girl, Makayla who is around 7 now, asked me where her new little car was the last time when they were leaving. I thought maybe she was a bit too old for another car, so I had gotten her a little "Dora the Exlporer" book her parents said she didn't have. But she wanted a car anyway! Of course I always have literally hundreds around here still in their boxes/containers so I gave her one. I learned my lesson! She equates little cars with "Casey" and can get books from other people. I know that when she's much older, she'll look at Matchbox cars and remember me.

    It's POURING rain right now, and boy do we need it. Thunder and lightning too. Supposedly we have a tornado watch, but they say that often.

    Hope you have a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. EVERY CHRISTMAS WE BUY THE GRANDSONS HESS TRUCK. EACH YEAR GRAMPS AND I FIGHT ABOUT IT. HE SAYS THEIR MUCH TO OLD FOR TOYS. MAYBE TEENAGERS ARE TO OLD BUT I ALWAY CALL THEM AND ASK IF THEY STILL WANT THE TRUCKS. THEY ALWAY COME BACK WITH THE COMMENT, IT WOULDN'T BE CHRISTMAS WITHOUT THEM. I TOLD THE OLDEST I'D BUY THEM UNTIL HE GETS MARRIED THEN THATS IT. HE LAUGHED KNOWING I WILL ALWAYS BUY THEM FOR HIM. THE TRUCKS COME OUT JUST BEFORE CHRISTMAS. GRAMPS USED TO GET UP AROUND 5 IN THE MORNING TO BE FIRST TO BUY THEM AT THE HESS GAS STATIONS. DUMB, I KNOW. YOU WANT ME TO BE YOUR GRANNY? LOL

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know just how much your grandsons appreciate those trucks because they come from both of you. I love that Gramps gets up early to make sure he gets one. That says so much about him, well about both of you!

    I've already made you my Granny in my mind! I know my late grandmother, who I always called Nanny, would have liked you a lot!

    ReplyDelete